+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Wishlist for future versions of Command Workstation

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Lightbulb Visual preview for slitting, trimming, spline forming and crease

I often have to prepare documents in order to produce saddle stiched booklets, including slitting and trimming. If the customers supplies professional source files (including enough bleed) for a regular ISO size booklet (SRA4/SRA3), everything is pretty straight forward.

But whenever "custom work" is needed (bleedless documents, custom media size, ...), it's getting complicated because I don't have any kind of visual preview in Jobmaster/Impose. That's especially important if I need to scale the document to fit on a certain media size. My finisher (KM SD-513) can only slit between 8 and 25mm, the regular "shrink to fit" option isn't sufficient because it would cause too much of the document's content to be cut away. Therefore I have to calculate an appropriate scale factor for myself, still keeping the configured trimming amount in mind.

My wish would be that Impose should support a visual preview of the job's slitting settings as well as a preview of the expected spline amount.

Same goes for the crease settings. The built in fixed crease positions shoud be displayed as well as custom positions. Free Crease should be configureable within JobMaster instead of using the ruby web application.
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_H View Post
    Sherry

Perhaps the "Home" button (top left blue button with a house icon under the Fiery Logo Left hand side) on CWS6 could achieve what you're after if you're just wanting to monitor the status of each of your Fiery's? I have 4 x Fiery's connected in the following screenshot and it shows me status of each fiery in the one window pane

Attachment 1784
    The Home button is certainly better than nothing... thank you for showing me... but they could have done this SOOOoo much better. It's not like we haven't been asking for this for five years, right? It needs to minimize really small so we can WORK on the rest of our computer while we watch it.

While I agree... it would be nice to archive it and start fresh with the new version wishlist -- I kinda feel like they haven't addressed a lot of issues from the old CWS. There are still some suggestions (well... most of them) that weren't implemented.

Maybe if those of us who have been here since 2012 can help out with what is fixed...and what still needs addressed?

For my part... There are still no fixes in CWS for front and back registration. You have those crazy little up/down/left/right things that totally depend on your page orientation and whether or not you are printing face down or up. It's STILL a nightmare.

But... if you really want to save a TON of time... ask your rep for a demo of the new IQ. Two prints. Boom. Perfect. You'll never manually adjust front and back by millimeters again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Baker View Post
    For my part... There are still no fixes in CWS for front and back registration. You have those crazy little up/down/left/right things that totally depend on your page orientation and whether or not you are printing face down or up. It's STILL a nightmare..
    I've found the easiest way to determine x/y adjustment is to process the file (1 page is enough if its a multipage document). The preview you see on screen, when you select the file after process , shows the orientation of the image/s that will correlate to x & y. So with a physical print you can match the sheet orientation to what you see on screen. From there its easy to determine your front/back adjustments. This method has always worked for me, and eliminates all the guess work.

Or..

Make a radical adjustment , eg. side 1 x=50. Take a print, and from there you can see which side has moved 50mm and in which direction. From there you'll be able to determine you x/y orientation.
    Last edited by D.Baker; 06-17-2018 at 02:28 PM.

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

In general, EFI should try to rework many of those settings which were "left behind" in the past ten years. The offset registration would be one example which could easily be done visually nowadays, although I used to avoid it whenever possible.

I totally understand the difficulties for the developers to provide a generic ui model for hundreds of different controllers but I guessed we reached a point where the tradional "checkbox/dropdown" model isn't sufficient anymore. It starts with dozens of incompatibilities (ever wondered why you have almost ten different output trays?) over to setting combination which are accepted by the controller but refused by the engine and ending with "hacks" like the FreeCrease interface.

The API is a great idea to overcome this and I really think that some of us are willing to invest hours of development to code specialized versions of CWS or custom workflow solutions. But EFI definitely needs to think about the licensing. Yes, I'm thinking about making this free of charge for the developer and the user as well, even if they are not the same person ;-)
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14