+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Wishlist for future versions of Command Workstation

bencr is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor bencr is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by ecgraphics3005 View Post
    Being able to interrupt a running job, putting into a "HOLD" status, so that we can run additional jobs and then resume printing the job on hold, would be terrific. There is currently no way to interrupt a running job other than canceling it, making note of where we ended up, and then restarting it later on.
    seconded. This would be great. especially with regard to printing a large document with tabs inserted (i.e. pause printing and carry on from where I left off)

Default Proofs and setting up a job

Would be nice if when I run a proof out the rip stays on the setup screen.
    Okay, I know it will need to re rip the job but if it stayed on the setup screen it would be most helpful. especially for small changes to the setup.
    eg: aligning the prints in image shift

Default CWS 6 missing ability to see IP address if Fiery not connected

In CWS 5, just selecting a Fiery from the server list, showed you the IP address of the Fiery, even if it wasn't connected. In CWS 6, you no long know the IP address, unless you are connected.

Being able to know the IP is very handy. I've reloaded a lot of Fierys due to crashes, and customers aren't great about knowing what the IP address of the Fiery is. This is also helpful when trying to diagnose if there is an issue with the network or the Fiery itself, like ping tests etc...

You have lots of room on the "Connect" screen, please put the expected/last known IP address back on there!

Thumbs up Portable Paper Catalogs

Quote Originally Posted by deckm00 View Post
    I don't know how it works with other manufacturers but with the Ricoh production printers you can export and import paper catalogs from one machine to another as long as the printer model is exactly the same.
    I would LOVE this. Standing at the actual copier to have to input all these on screen is the most inefficient way of doing it, ever.

Even though it appears like it should be possible to input new paper into a catalog through CWS, they never seem to show up in the list.

An aside... while CWS 6.0 looks cool... they STILL failed to allow us to minimize the window to the task bar and see error messages. Do they honestly think we do nothing but stare at the CWS screen all day? It's kind of hard to monitor when you have to add paper but still be productive without having to take up half your screen real estate.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 is working their way up in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Baker View Post
    I would LOVE this. Standing at the actual copier to have to input all these on screen is the most inefficient way of doing it, ever.

Even though it appears like it should be possible to input new paper into a catalog through CWS, they never seem to show up in the list.
    Beware--on an engine that has its own paper catalog, what that engine sends to Fiery is NOT complete, and what the Fiery uses is not engine-specific.

You must use the engine tools to input paper catalog information. The Fiery will then read that and use the paper name, of course, and will allow you to specify color profiles for the Fiery to use when processing a job for that paper.

But entering the info on the Fiery does not feed back what's appropriate and/or complete for the engine. Being accurate and complete means dealing with the print engine itself.

If you have a problem with entering paper catalog info, take that up with the engine manufacturer. It's their toy, their workflow.

But as pointed out earlier, you shouldn't have any problem taking an existing paper catalog in one engine and copying it into another engine of the same make/model.

Default Wishlist for future versions of Command Workstation

I love all of these suggestions and would like to add just a couple more:

1- Server Nicknames. I support a dealer network and travel to several states to support them. I do not have any say in what they name their Fiery's and they usually leave them to whatever 'default' name the Fiery gives itself. The problem is, in my CWS, I have 15 or so Fiery's added with 'default' names and it isn't possible for me to know what Fiery is in the office I am in. If I could 'nickname' these (ie "Denver-2070") it would make things much easier.

2- Copy and Paste Properties. I realize there are many tools to edit files within CWS, but occasionally we need to go back to our native applications to make an edit or tweek to a file. It would be nice after importing the new file if we could right click on the original and select "copy properties" then right click on the new file and "apply properties." As of now, I have a generic preset named 'test' that I overwrite and apply to the new job. Its a bit of a headache, but it works. Copy and paste would be better.

3- Search for Servers. I mentioned this on a different thread, but the ability to search a subnet for Fiery's to connect to rather than needing an IP address or being on the same subnet would be helpful. Again, I support a large dealer network across multiple states with computers on one subnet and printers on another. Searching the printer subnet from the computer subnet would make remote management much easier.

I'm glad you guys read these and use them for future enhancements!

Cheers,
    Shawn

Futaura is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Futaura is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnW View Post
    2- Copy and Paste Properties. I realize there are many tools to edit files within CWS, but occasionally we need to go back to our native applications to make an edit or tweek to a file. It would be nice after importing the new file if we could right click on the original and select "copy properties" then right click on the new file and "apply properties." As of now, I have a generic preset named 'test' that I overwrite and apply to the new job. Its a bit of a headache, but it works. Copy and paste would be better.
    I'll second this one - I use this same method often many times in one day. Not just when tweaking files ourselves, but when reprinting a job where the customer has updated their PDF. I usually go into the archived jobs, open properties of the job, save to temporary preset, and then apply that to the job in the hold queue.

I've often wondered if this was just me, or whether there was already some way to accomplish this in a simplified way. Setting up a separate workflow server preset is not really a solution as it would mean hundreds of presets, and wouldn't cater for one-off jobs that need to be tweaked. A copy and paste properties function is what I was thinking of also. Maybe there is also even a more elegant solution that could be implemented, that I have yet to think of.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Whilst we are dreaming - can we ask for a wireless ES2000 as well EX3100 has wireless keyboard / mouse - just saying..
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 is working their way up in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Futaura View Post
    I'll second this one - I use this same method often many times in one day. Not just when tweaking files ourselves, but when reprinting a job where the customer has updated their PDF. I usually go into the archived jobs, open properties of the job, save to temporary preset, and then apply that to the job in the hold queue.

I've often wondered if this was just me, or whether there was already some way to accomplish this in a simplified way. Setting up a separate workflow server preset is not really a solution as it would mean hundreds of presets, and wouldn't cater for one-off jobs that need to be tweaked. A copy and paste properties function is what I was thinking of also. Maybe there is also even a more elegant solution that could be implemented, that I have yet to think of.
    I will third this.

It's so obvious, I think it's been overlooked. It's not an automation feature per se; however, it would be a huge time saver in many cases.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

I'll be a fourth on this.. If you can create a Server preset from a ripped file without having to go into the properties, then you can apply the server preset to others without going into their properties as well. I'd like to add that when doing so you can make it sort by last updated or some method of distinguishing your temporary Server Presets from your long term presets. A way to 'mark' a preset as being on top of the list for selection is what i'm meaning.

By the way, i choose numbers as my temporary presets "1" "2" and so on. escpecially if i have to split duplex into two simplexes to manually run then i put first side as "1" and second side as "2".

And while i'm brainstorming, i'd like to be able to apply paper catalogs to jobs outside of properties. That way i can create a generic preset that takes care of everything but the catalog variables. Its how i run right now. This would eliminate another of my issues; invalid paper catalog item. When i save a server preset with a paper catalog, and change the paper properties on the printer the catalog item become invalid. And that takes awhile to check through when going into properties. This would change that. For example I have a server preset setup for 12pt C2S business cards and i have everything but the paper catalog loaded into it. I apply from the job list and select the paper i want to use loaded in the printer and rip, job is done in 2 clicks.
    Last edited by StarDigital; 08-03-2017 at 06:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread