Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Integrated Fiery w/ Xerox 550/560 and Lion

Default Integrated Fiery w/ Xerox 550/560 and Lion

What is the story with supporting the fiery with the xerox 550? We got 3 of these printers across our offices and have users on lion that are using the fiery express driver, which isn't good enough for a shop like us.

We NEED the advanced print features. Just got these printers a few months ago, and we're very disappointed that 10.7 has been out for close to a year, and still NO driver support.

What gives? Are you guys working on it? These are extremely expensive printers, truly hard to believe that 10.7 still isn't supported. We might have to return them and steer away from fiery if this isn't fixed soon.

Hello,

10.7 Drivers for this controller are available here.

http://services.efi.com/support/driv...0_560&ver=10.7

Best regards,
    Bruce

Hello Redman,

I think that you have been misinformed.

The Fiery controller print driver for the 550/560 supports Lion OSX since day 1, at the exception of Apple Sandbox apps (Preview, Text Edit, Safari).

We have now released a Lion print driver with Sandbox apps support, which you can find here if it's the integrated controller.

It's also posted on the Xerox website for the external controller.

Hope this clarifies,

thanks,
    l-

Andersson is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Andersson is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent_H View Post
    Hello Redman,

I think that you have been misinformed.

The Fiery controller print driver for the 550/560 supports Lion OSX since day 1, at the exception of Apple Sandbox apps (Preview, Text Edit, Safari).

We have now released a Lion print driver with Sandbox apps support, which you can find here if it's the integrated controller.

It's also posted on the Xerox website for the external controller.

Hope this clarifies,

thanks,
    l-

It's great that it "supports" Lion OS X. But the meaning of the word "support" is rather subjective. And it's not very descriptive either. "- I support OS X Lion - hurray for 10.7!". Doesn't mean it's any good.

Does "support" mean that "there will be papers coming out of the printer most of the times"

Does "support" mean "there are no problems reported and everything works fine with the most commonly used software both for Windows and Mac OS X (Office, Adobe etc)"?

I am asking because we are still waiting for a fully working solution with our 560. It's guess work to use it.

Perhaps someone could tell us something about this? The thread died but the problem did not.

I have tried the new 10.7 driver and it's not working. I will have the printer updated to 1.1 and try again after that.

Hello Anderson,

We fully tested and approved the latest OX driver to work with the most popular applications, as well as sandboxed apps.

Please provide more details relating to your problem (I do print everyday from 10.6.8 to a 550 and do not face issues). However, before doing so, please delete the previously installed 550 printer & driver with the Fiery Uninstaller Utility (this is important), and install the new driver from Xerox Website. As discussed, please make sure your Fiery is upgraded to v1.1 SP1 (Service Pack 1), and that "Two Way Communication" is enabled from the driver when printing. Note that Paper Feed is a OSX function, not a Fiery driver one (i.e. select this option from the Fiery driver options, or using a preset).

Hope this helps,

thanks,
    l-

Andersson is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Andersson is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent_H View Post
    Hello Anderson,

We fully tested and approved the latest OX driver to work with the most popular applications, as well as sandboxed apps.

Please provide more details relating to your problem (I do print everyday from 10.6.8 to a 550 and do not face issues). However, before doing so, please delete the previously installed 550 printer & driver with the Fiery Uninstaller Utility (this is important), and install the new driver from Xerox Website. As discussed, please make sure your Fiery is upgraded to v1.1 SP1 (Service Pack 1), and that "Two Way Communication" is enabled from the driver when printing. Note that Paper Feed is a OSX function, not a Fiery driver one (i.e. select this option from the Fiery driver options, or using a preset).

Hope this helps,

thanks,
    l-
    Thanks for your interest Laurent.

EDIT: We have the latest 1.1 SP1 installed now.

I don't know where to start really but lets start here:

1. Let's forget OS X Lion for the moment. I drop a postscript file in the Held que. Am I supposed to be able to print this with Auto tray directly in CWS? I can not do this. Auto tray defaults to Tray 6 (oversized) and we have A3 paper there. Where can I change this auto setting? It has nothing to do with OS X at this stage but still can't use auto.

Name:  auto.jpg
Views: 5686
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  error.jpg
Views: 5408
Size:  12.9 KB
    Last edited by Andersson; 04-10-2012 at 08:05 AM.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Andersson,

I am making some assumptions - the ps file you are dropping onto the hold Q presumably was not generated by a Fiery Driver ? also the screenshots you have posted suggest that you have opened up the properties of the "Held" ps job & chosen A4SEF as a Stock size ? the response callout you have also suggests that there isn't any A4SEF loaded ? ( or it isn't being recognised - as you stated Tray 6 is loaded with A3 ) so the 550/560 would default to its Tray priority setting which if you have a an HCF ( Hi Cap Feeder ) Tray 6 would generally be the default since it has the most capacity.. What happens if you open Tray 2 for example load A4 SEF & shut the tray & confirm that you have A4 SEF - White - 64-79gsm ? does the machine cycle up & print ? also what happens if you just dump the ps file on the print Q what does the file actually ask for..??
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm View Post
    Hi Andersson,

I am making some assumptions - the ps file you are dropping onto the hold Q presumably was not generated by a Fiery Driver ? also the screenshots you have posted suggest that you have opened up the properties of the "Held" ps job & chosen A4SEF as a Stock size ? the response callout you have also suggests that there isn't any A4SEF loaded ? ( or it isn't being recognised - as you stated Tray 6 is loaded with A3 ) so the 550/560 would default to its Tray priority setting which if you have a an HCF ( Hi Cap Feeder ) Tray 6 would generally be the default since it has the most capacity.. What happens if you open Tray 2 for example load A4 SEF & shut the tray & confirm that you have A4 SEF - White - 64-79gsm ? does the machine cycle up & print ? also what happens if you just dump the ps file on the print Q what does the file actually ask for..??
    It's the same thing when I drop the PS file in the print que. It halts with an error about tray 6. We have both A4SEF and A4LEF loaded in the machine in other trays.

I open a web page in Safari and in the print dialog I chose the Xerox printer and then I save a PS file. The paper size is set to A4.

Why would an auto tray function try the biggest tray?
    Why not try with an A4 tray if the job is A4?

That's typically what auto stands for. Choose the best tray for the job. It's not "Go to the biggest tray and let us pray it will work!". That is not an auto tray function. That's a default tray function which is not the same thing.

Looking inside the PS-file on my desktop I see this:

%%BeginFeature: *PageSize A4
    userdict /XJXEFIsetpageproperties known
    { << /XJXSetImageable [ () ] /XJXsetpagesizeInternal [ (LEFA4) ]

Default OS X 10.7 printer driver and versions

It is common knowledge that a support web site is a good place to start for drivers. The installation package (CD, zip file etc) could have been put together at an earlier date and the web will have the latest versions. In this case we have this scenario:

A. Installation of the 1.1 system update.
    The printers configuration web tools page shows a link "Check for Product Updates".( printer IP/cgi-bin/checkupdates.cgi )

This page shows the 1.1 update for the rip and the Mac OS X 10.7 driver with these properties:

Date: March 26, 2012
    Description: Mac OSX 10.7 native drivers with Color options are not getting honored.
    ID: 1-1EYBEV
    File name: XC Integrated 550-560 v1.1 RBpDX OSX Rel 2.0.dmg
    Size: 51.9 MB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 5528
Size:  14.9 KB

I get suspicious because I remember that the driver from xerox.com which I tried earlier had another version number.

B. I visit xerox.com and download the driver and it looks like this

Date: Feb 23, 2012
    Description: A new mac os 10.7 driver which will print from sandbox application on mac os 10.7
    ID: 1-1DZHZG
    File name: XC Integrated 550-560 v1.1 RBpDX OSX Rel 6.0.dmg
    Size: 53.3 MB

Name:  60.jpg
Views: 5411
Size:  14.5 KB

So the file with a newer release date is version 2.0.
    The file with a one month older release date is 6.0.

Name:  dates.png
Views: 5406
Size:  17.6 KB

C. I take a look inside the installer package files.
    The PPD files are identical. I also found the sandbox plugins so I compare them too.

PluginX64_sandbx: EF172218 (FF).plugin
    ID: 1-1EYBEV (2.0) Finder version: 3.2.023.0 NEWEST
    ID: 1-1DZHZG (6.0) Finder version: 3.2.022.0

PluginX64: EF172218 (FF).plugin
    ID: 1-1EYBEV (2.0) Finder version: 3.1.095.0 NEWEST
    ID: 1-1DZHZG (6.0) Finder version: 3.1.094.0

Name:  version2.jpg
Views: 5375
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  version1.jpg
Views: 5336
Size:  21.2 KB

Conclusion:
    The newest version number 6.0 have older sandbox software. This is not a good start if I am trying to make things work. I have also compared the content in these files and they are not the same.

Questions:
    Why is the release of v. 2.0 one month never than v. 6.0?
    How do I know which driver to use?

I have a Xerox support person here telling me to install the file included in the 1.1 update, which is a March 26 release. My gut tells me to install from the web which is a February 23 release, but much higher version.

General problem:
    I will always use the official support web for latest drivers but in this case I will install older versions over newer versions if I should do so. And if I am supposed to use 2.0 now I may have forgotten about it when I install the next Mac in a month or so. I really don't understand this system with different software versions floating around.

And it is also impossible to understand if there is a patching thing going on here. Should I start with 2.0 and then also install 6.0 on top? Or the other way around perhaps?

The 6.0 release describes itself as #new mac os 10.7 driver ..."

The 2.0 release which followed with the system update describes itself "Mac OSX 10.7 native drivers with Color options are not getting honored". This sound more like a patch for one problem rather than "The new OS X 10.7 driver". The naming is sketchy and not any help.

But both installers are +50 MB in size so they are probably full installers.

Default Swedish translation

The driver is available in Swedish.

Name:  swed1.jpg
Views: 5634
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  swed2.jpg
Views: 5468
Size:  52.6 KB

When I use the print dialog I get a mix of English and Swedish. Is this normal? Is it the same for other language versions?

Name:  lang.jpg
Views: 5703
Size:  65.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast