Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paper Settings Issue with Rioch 1357EX vs Ricoh C-900

Default Paper Settings Issue with Rioch 1357EX vs Ricoh C-900

We have been running a C-900s for a couple of years now and recently replaced a set of Canon B&W machines with a Ricoh 1357EX.

The problem that we are having is with the media settings. On the C-900 we can set the media type and thickness independently, but on the 1357Ex, we only have a single dropdown box. This means it is impossible for us to make a setting for coated cover (#100 gloss Cover). I have attached screenshots to show what I am talking about.

It would seem that this is a bug or something that needs to be fixed on the Fiery end, but so far Ricoh has been unsuccessful in determining what to do.

Here is the screenshot from the C900
    Name:  C900.jpg
Views: 3509
Size:  225.7 KB

Here is the screenshot from the 1357EX
    Name:  1357EX.jpg
Views: 3246
Size:  220.3 KB

Here is the screenshot from the 1357EX with the dropdown selected where you can see the media type and paper weight are combined.
    Name:  1357EX with dropdown.jpg
Views: 3295
Size:  252.3 KB
    Joel Weinstein
    Southbury Printing Centre, Inc.

Ricoh Pro 8120s with Plockmatic Bookletmaker
    Ricoh C7110x with extended tray and 5th color unit

I'm a bit surprised that Ricoh hasn't been able to figure it out.

On the C900, the engine displays both media type and media weight. On the Pro907/1107/1357EX, the engine only displays one of those items. That item is the one you select in the "Media Type" menu.

When you set "#100 Gloss Cover" on the engine, what does engine display as loaded in the tray? That value is the value you should choose.

Default delayed response

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't realize someone had responded.

You are mistaken, the engine on the Ricoh 1357 displays both items as well, definitely not as many options for the paper type, but there are definitely still both options to select independently.

Ricoh 1357 Screenshot
    Name:  1357 screen small.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  800.5 KB

Ricoh C900s Screenshot
    Name:  900 Screenshot small.jpg
Views: 3436
Size:  684.0 KB

This is what is leading me to believe that it is a Fiery issue rather than a Ricoh issue.
    Joel Weinstein

That's not the display I'm talking about. You can select both. But on the operation panel where what you've selected in each tray is displayed, only one item shows up.

Default Operation Panel

I understand now what you are saying, but this still doesn't make a lot of sense. For example, when I set the tray to Thick 3, Blue paper, the operation panel displays Blue. You can't tell me that the settings for #20 Blue copy paper and #110 Blue index are the same.

To answer your previous question, anytime you select gloss in the paper type menu on the hardware, no matter what the thickness, the operation panel displays coated.
    Joel Weinstein

Default Operation Panel

Hi I'm a trainer on the Pro 1357 and the display type (Blue for example) really doesn't mean that much. That part is usually used so the operator knows what colour / type of paper is in the machine. The most important part is the paper thickness.

So i would set the machine up for thick 1/thick 2 etc and tell the print driver that that is what it has in it.

Hope that this helps

I have almost the same equipment as you, 1107ex and C900 and I know exactly what you're referring to. For whatever reason, the 1107ex only has the single box which makes it confusing at times to choose what setting in the Fiery to match against the settings in the copier. However, like joyce said, the thickness is usually the defining factor and the setting to base off. I usually leave the "paper type" at "Do Not Display" and just adjust the thickness as needed. I've been running it over 2 years this way. I've found that's all I've needed for running any level of stock. The C900 on the other hand you need to have the various levels of adjustment to control the fuser temperature, speed adjustment and nip pressure. I assume you have the lovely little matrix chart that shows you the settings for each option?
    Currently using CWS 5.3.1.32 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Running 3 Ricoh machines:
    Pro C900 - ProC900 v4.0 System 8 Release 2 (PLP Installed)
    Pro 1107ex - EB-1357ex v1.1 System 8 Release 2
    Aficio 3260 - E7000 v1.2 System 6e.

Default Matrix

I do have the matrix (after we had the machine for a year or so) for the 900. I was just hoping that Ricoh would have supplied us with something similar for the 1357 and also perhaps a media guide chart.

We have been just running it using the thickness setting, but run into issues sometimes, specifically when running gloss stock.

Thanks for the insight though.

Joel
    Joel Weinstein

What are your issues with gloss stock? Do you have the coated stock rollers for the 1357ex? My techs gave me a confused look when I asked them about these rollers, but eventually found them. They make a world of difference when running coated papers.
    Currently using CWS 5.3.1.32 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Running 3 Ricoh machines:
    Pro C900 - ProC900 v4.0 System 8 Release 2 (PLP Installed)
    Pro 1107ex - EB-1357ex v1.1 System 8 Release 2
    Aficio 3260 - E7000 v1.2 System 6e.

Default Coated rollers

We did eventually get coated rollers put into one of our main trays, they supposedly have carbon-less rollers as well, but we haven't had any issues with carbon-less yet. Our tech looked at us like we had three heads when we first asked about the rollers.

Our biggest problem with coated sheets has been running playbill type booklets (all #100 Gloss text) and trying to use the bookletmaker inline (Plockmatic). When the main machine is set to "coated" for the media type it refuses to feed into the bookletmaker, but if we leave this as "Do Not Display" and just choose the thickness than the machine jams, alot! This is true even with the coated rollers.
    Joel Weinstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast