+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firebird Database user account created

Default Firebird Database user account created

I have a network on Macintosh Computers all running 10.7.2. I am the only user who uses Command Workstation 5.3+ and I only use it to download and clear the log file from the Canon C1+ that we use. We use the log file to import into a FileMaker database and bill for the jobs that printed in color. We do not use any of the CWS advanced features although we have been trained on them by the Canon folks when our Canon C1+ was installed. On January 11th when checking something else in my "Users and Groups" System Preference I noticed that another User "Firebird Database" (Standard user) had been created. There was no associated home folder created for this user. I had not created this user. Nor do I remember accepting any dialog box that may have created this user. In my research the only thing I can find that uses this database and is installed on my computer is Command Workstation.

When I do a search for "Firebird" in the Finder a file "Firebird.txt" which is a license for the database comes up in the Fiery folder. I did download a new copy of CWS back in December on the 15th. I used it to download the log file. At that time I didn't notice a new user being created. As I said I only noticed on January 11th.

Has anyone else with Command Workstation 5.3.1.32 installed on a Macintosh Running Lion version 10.7.2 run into a similar problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Question I've just seen the same thing...

I've just rebuilt my mac with a clean OS 10.7.3 install - and saw exactly the same thing after installing CWS, Fiery Hot Folders, Remote Scanning and Color Profiler Suite.

Would love to know why this user is being created please?

CWS5 installs a set of Firebird components primarily for use with managing Paper Catalog media. With these Firebird components, CWS5 also installs a 'Firebird Database' user account on a Mac running 10.7. The byproduct of this installation does not affect your workstation, although we recognize it's desirable to limit the user accounts that appear in System Preferences. We are are investigating the CWS use and installation of these Firebird components with that end in mind.

Exclamation

I have a customer complaining about the same issue, they are asking for support on how to remove or hide the firebird database user. I would appreciate a reply on this thread.

I to am having the same issue with a Firebird Database user being created. I am looking for the best way to delete the user. Can it be done without hurting CW5?

In the reports I've received so far, I have seen no impact to CWS functionality by the deletion of the Firebird user account on the Mac.

However, if you have other applications that use the Firebird database on your Mac, I don't know what the impact of removing the user account would be and wouldn't recommend it in that case.

My understanding is that Fire Bird is an open source SQL database which is used by EFI for the "Paper Catalog" comms between the print engine and Command Workstation (Mac). I believe you can delete the user with no issue. Apparently this is going to be corrected in the next version of CWS5

+ Reply to Thread