+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Missing Workflow Tab and PDF problems

Question Missing Workflow Tab and PDF problems

Hi all,

I'm having some problems using a Fiery box attached to the back of a Canon CLC4040, and I hope someone can help.

We are receiving down large spools of PDFs to the machine from an OM Plus server, and would like the jobs to print in Duplex, but they always arrive Single-sided. The server admins at the OM Plus side are adamant that the spool feed has no print controls on it whatsoever, and that the Fiery must be rendering the PDF job in Postscript by default. I am able to get the jobs sent to Held and manually change the option from 2-Sided: None to Long Edge Binding, which then prints the jobs double sided, but this far from ideal. The Canon's default setting is for double-sided printing.

It was suggested that this could be managed better by using a Workflow to handle the jobs, but being new to Fiery, I wasn't sure what this entailed and began looking into it. I didn't get very far, as there appear to be no Workflows tab on CW5.

So, in short: Does the Fiery process all PDF jobs using Postscript, and can this be changed? And can I get access to the Workflows at all?

We are using CW5, which shows in the General Info page that the Fiery is running 8e Release 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Scott 78,

Your post is somewhat vague as how the job actually arrives at the Fiery ? You have established that a pdf arrives at the Fiery & doesn't do what you want it to do.. how does the pdf output from your OMPLUS server get to the Fiery ? does it use lpr ? does it use hotfolders ? does it use RAW Port 9100 ?

Once you establish which mode of transport is being used to get the pdf to the Fiery then options can be looked at..

If you are using lpr - simply enter device center tab -> workflows -> New e.g. OMPLUS & then on the Job Properties pulldown select define & then on the Duplex pulldown select top to top & tick the override. Now you have made a New Virtual printer you can direct the lpr queue to it ..
    Also you can enter configure & then Network -> Services -> LPD & then default the LPD queue on your pulldown to your newly created workflow / Virtual Printer.

The Hotfolder option should be apparent - simply change the properties of the Hotfolder..

If however the jobs appear via Port 9100 then there are some issues - if you enter configure & use the above to enter not LPD but Port 9100 - the pulldown will not show your newly created queue - also on your system 8 box you cannot change the three default queue attributes - you can on a system 10 box - therefore you will be very limited in what you can do..

All of the above is certainly true for a Xerox EX700 running CWS5 - if Canon Products run different ? apologies in advance
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Thanks for the response, Thistlegorm.

Apologies for my vagueness. I'm a total beginner with Fiery, which doesn't help, and as the OM Plus server is located in another country, finding out the details of how it outputs has been very difficult due to the language barrier firslty, and secondly because the chap I'm dealing with knows about as much as I do about OM Plus and Fiery.

We have now established between him, the sys admins and I that the protocol being used to send the PDF's from the OM Plus is 'Netprint', so LPD/LPR in that case. Our general printing from our local Windows print server uses Port 9100, so segregating the LPD stuff to another queue would be great, if I could just create one!

With regard to the Workflows advice, my thanks again for that, but (as outlined in my OP) I cannot see the Workflows tab in CW5 at all. All I have under the Devices section are General, Color Setup, Resources, Users and Logs.

Is the difference in Release versions just a firmware upgrade on the Fiery? If so, I'll scream at the vendor some more to see if we can get an upgrade out of them, if it would help this situation overall.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

My advice: don't scream at the vendor. They don't *owe* you anything. If you want their help, if you want them to partner with you, great--but don't *scream* at them and demand things.

My US$0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    My advice: don't scream at the vendor. They don't *owe* you anything. If you want their help, if you want them to partner with you, great--but don't *scream* at them and demand things.

My US$0.02.
    Now, I can appreciate "adam1991" that you weren't fully apprised of all the details of the situation before I posted on here (I didn't deem it necessary to post the entire history of the matter and waste others' time by asking them to read it), so I'm going to give you a little background so that your input above isn't entirely wasted.

I've paid the vendor a lot of money for a large number of MFDs and a hefty maintenance contract. So yes, actually they do *owe* me. Hundreds of thousands of Pounds worth. And with the lack of support they've given me on this over the last month, I'm pretty sure that I have every right to *scream* at them to get my money's worth, particularly when their current lack of drive regarding customer service is in turn effecting our customer service and the delivery of critical functions. I don't want their "partnership", we're way beyond that, sadly. I now simply want the service that I paid for, like any other customer would by this point, but time is money, and if I can't count on the local hardware vendor or Canon UK to uphold their end in a timely manner (or at all would be nice), then I have to take matters into my own hands. Which led me to seek help from Fiery and their user community.

If you have some technical advice to contribute, that's great, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, please stop wasting my time and your own with nothing more than your opinion on an unrelated topic.

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

Given your frustration with your vendor, I hesitate to mention this. But it kind of sounds like you need to purchase Hotfolders. I know that some of my smaller Ricohs don't come with Hotfolders turned on. I'm wondering if your Canon is the same way. You should be able to print a config sheet to confirm whether or not it's there. Or you can look in Devices->General and see what is listed in "Options/Packages."

The functionality you want from HotFolders is Virtual Printers. With that you can add another logical printer and LPR to that queue rather than the print or hold queue.

Thumbs up

Hi manyfaces,

Many thanks for your response.

I have now had a look on the section in CW5 under Device Center -> Server Configuration -> Printer Installed Options, and it only contains two items. Finisher-W1 and 2-Cassette Feeding Unit.

At a guess then, if I'm looking in the right place, it would suggest that Hotfolders isn't installed?

EDIT: Apologies, I was indeed looking in the wrong place. I have now found the relevant area, and it states under 'Options/Packages' that "No packages are installed on this server." I have taken this up with the vendor again, who is sending an engineer out to check this tomorrow, because they don't know what I'm referring to and had never heard of the Hotfolders product before.
    Last edited by Scott78; 01-17-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: More information found.

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

On my Fierys, Printer Installer Options lists what finishers I have installed on my copier. The section which lists the Fiery options is someplace different. I want to say it's in the BIOS Setup portion of the config sheet.

Although I still stand by my previous guess as to what you need to do...

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Scott,

A couple of questions where do you have the CWS 5 loaded where you cannot see the workflows tab ? been back to spec savers & re-read OP.. is it loaded on a PC or are you looking on the Fiery RIP itself ? if it is the former are you able to remote onto the RIP & check the CWS that is loaded ? which presumably would have CWS 4 loaded, however I think you should still be able to see Virtual Printers - are you able to add one in there ? Being a Xerox Bod - I don't have specific knowledge of your product - but it is a Fiery & all our Fiery RIPS have this so I'm a bit confused why it isn't showing..?

EDIT: Have you got an H1 RIP or GX100 ? only it looks like Virtual Printer is an Option along with Hotfolders.. see http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Work/Prod...ex.asp?specs=1 or http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Work/Prod...ex.asp?specs=1

Looks like it is part of the Mini Fiery Graphics Art kit - which is normally a one shot dongle & a disk ( at least on our ones.. ) - if you really have been having a bad time with your vendor - perhaps an FOC upgrade might pour oil on troubled waters - or at least go some way towards it... worth asking ?

Hope that helps..
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 01-17-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: More Info..

Also if it is a GX100 RIP http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Work/Prod...ex.asp?specs=1

Looks like it is part of the Mini Fiery Graphics Art kit - so same as..

But if you can get hold of it - you will then be able to lpr direct to a printer with a duplex o/r which wont upset the print & hold queues..
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 01-17-2012 at 05:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast