+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fiery freeform variable data newsletter won't collate into separate folded

Unhappy fiery freeform variable data newsletter won't collate into separate folded

I've figured out how to merge variable data with an InDesign pdf file using the command workstation freeform process but need to print 400 newsletters. When I print multiple address records (tested with two records), it will combine all 4 sheets (two 8 page newsletters) and then fold and staple. So one newsletter is inside another. No separation. I used a 4 page word file for my data merge document (3 blank pages and one page where the name/address show up). Then I print in combination with assigned InDesign master. 4 tabloid sheets, duplexed. How can I get it so each newsletter is folded and stapled separately?

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

If you go into your VDP tab on your driver - do you have "Define Record Length" ? if you do you should be able to tell the Fiery how many pages in each "record" in your case 4..

Does that work ?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Default no record length option

No, I don't have that option. I don't even have the enhance freeform option I read about last night. I just upgraded to the latest version of command workstation, too. I'm on a Mac.

You didn't mention which Fiery model and version you are using. From your description, it sounds like the finished piece is intended to be an 8 page newsletter, possibly Letter or A4 size. It also sounds like the Master file is a four page InDesign file, possibly Tabloid or A3, with content for two finished pages composed on one InDesign page.

If this is the case, it will be necessary for the Word Document for the variable file to be composed the same dimension and orientation with the variable content positioned to match the required location of the Master document. Keep in mind that the number of pages in the Master will define the record length of the VDP job. If your Master has four pages, you will have to have four corresponding pages in your variable document for each record, even if the variable data is only on one of the pages. It sounds like your variable file already has taken this into account.

With this setup, you should be able to achieve your goal. You could import the Master document to the Held queue in Command WorkStation. Select an unused Master under Create Master in the VDP tab of Job Properties and either print the file or Process and Hold. You should not choose any finishing options on the Master.

When printing the variable file, select the master that was created in the previous step under Use Master in the VDP tab of Job Properties. Then select the desired finishing options and duplex options and print.

I tested this in our lab and each record was folded and stapled independently. If this still doesn't work for you, please provide more information about your Fiery model and version. It would also be helpful if you could provide some sample files.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread