+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hot Folder/Impose Issue

Default Hot Folder/Impose Issue

I'm trying to create a workflow that will automate our business card printing. We're printing on a Konica Bizhub Press 8000 and finishing them on a Duplo DC-645. What I want to do is create a hot folder that will impose the business card pdf's 20-up on 12x18 and apply a VDP master that includes the job barcode and registration mark for the Duplo. I've run into a few problems...

First of all, I get much more predictable results from Impose when I can use the "user defined" finish size, which finds the trim size of the pdf and works from there, rather than the default "crop area" setting which could be different for every pdf depending on how the customer exported it. When defining settings in hot folders, I can't select any Impose templates that use the "user defined" method. This makes automating any kind of finishing impossible because if somebody put crop marks AND bleed marks on their file, it's going to impose differently and therefore need to be finished differently than one which just has crop marks.

OK, so assuming I can get that first part to work, the next part is applying the master with all the important info for the Duplo. When I right click a file in the job queue and choose Impose I can select whichever template I'd like and then save it as either a .dbp or a flattened PDF. When I go to impose through the hotfolder settings to Impose I don't get the option of saving as a PDF. So my only option is for a .dbp file to come out of the hot folder. I have only been able to get masters to actually apply to PDF's. I don't get any error message when applying a master to a .dbp, it just doesn't work. The master page doesn't show up.

So I have a few different questions here.

1. Is there any way to use the "user defined" finish size in an Impose template that's applied to a file going through a hot folder?

2. Is there any way to apply a VDP master to an imposed .dbp file?

Thank you for reading this far. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

PrintShorty..

I think your thread comes into this one: http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthrea...Template-Issue - on another note would be interested to know how you get on with the Duplo Barcodes.. I have a customer that we trying to get to use..
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

Just a thought. Instead of a VDP master, is it possible to create a control bar with the information you need and add that to the DBP file?

manyfaces -
    Please forgive my n00bness, but I've never used these control bars you speak of. I did a little research and found that it's a .eps file, but at what point do I attach it to the file? I don't see any options for contol bars in the job properties window. I found the settings under Color Setup > Control Bar, but is it just either on or off for all jobs, or is it something that can be applied to jobs individually?

thistlegorm-
    The duplo barcodes work great. They're easy to make and along with the registration mark on the sheet, allow us to make sure that every piece coming off the machine is correct. I know Duplo makes a barcode generator software for around $4k which imposes pdfs and applies the barcodes, but since we already shelled out for the Fiery Graphics Arts Premium package, we're trying to get our money's worth out of that.

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

Control bar is turned on in the Job Info tab of Job Properties. It's in the Reporting section.

It does look like you found where the global control bar settings are. In there, you can add a custom EPS file and specify the size and location on the sheet where the bar is placed. And, as you noticed, you can also make it apply to all jobs.

I haven't played with it too much so I don't know if it will work for your needs. I just thought it seemed like something worth mentioning.

+ Reply to Thread