+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiery Ports

djzolla is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor djzolla is on a distinguished path

Default Fiery Ports

Hi there

On the older systems you were allowed to manually create and activate ports through CWS. It seems this feature has not been added to Sys 9 R2.

I am trying to use a piece of software and need to know if these ports are blocked or not.

Is there a clever way of doing this please?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Default Fiery Ports

Hello,
    you should still be able to edit, enable or disable ports.
    From Device Center/Server Configuration/Network/Protocols/ TCP/IP/Security.

Please let me know if this works for you. I have tested it on few S9R2 controllers and the option is still there.

Thanks,
    Anna

djzolla is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor djzolla is on a distinguished path

Hi Anna

Thanks for the response. I have attached a screenshot of what i can see through CWS. I forgot to mention that it is a EX 560 attached to a Xerox Color 560 device.

I have just checked our Imagepass A1 attached to a Canon IR Advance 7xxx range. I can't see anywhere on CWS where I can create a new port. If I go through the procedure using the Canon's control panel I am then able to add ports manually.

As this is a Xerox 560 the Fiery panel on othe copier is very limited in what you can setup. Basically just the IP SM GW and a few other bits and pieces nothing about security.

It seems CWS does not have an option to add particular ports. is there a reason for this? Please advise on your findings.

Once again thanks for your response.

Paul
    Last edited by djzolla; 10-28-2011 at 01:57 AM.

This isn't a Fiery System SW function but is instead a per-product, OEM-based specification. As you've noticed, some Canon Fierys allow you to add custom ports via the LCD panel on the Fiery. Newer Canons still allow you to do this. This is to allow for compatibility with Canon's MEAP applications.

If you're looking at a Fiery which is from a different copier manufacturer, specific-OEM-based customizations will likely not be present. Xerox, for example, would not be expected to operate with Canon MEAP applications.

Why do you need to open a custom port on the Xerox? Typically, we're asked how to lock everything but the bare minimum down. The "Enable Port Filtering" UI in CWS allows for this functionality.

Hi Nick

Thanks for your response. What you say makes sense and thanks for making it clear in my mind The problem is resolved my end now so it wasn't a port issue.

Paul

+ Reply to Thread