Thread: Ports to open on network to connect to built-in Fiery on Xerox DocuColor242

Default Ports to open on network to connect to built-in Fiery on Xerox DocuColor242

Hello everyone, I have a docucolor242 with built in Fiery connected to a wireless network, which is NAT to a static IP throught a router. CWS5 is installed on a Mac on the same network.
    - First question: which ports need to be open to correctly communicate with the Fiery in local network?

Also, my need is to print on IP. Everything works fine using IPP protocol, but I cannot use CWS5 to connect to the static IP of the printer my guess because the standard http is used by FileMaker (db management I need to be reachable from the internet).
    - Second question: how do I connect to Fiery throught the static ip? Must be something like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:631 (tell you that if I write this in the address bar, it actually connects to the web page of the printer). Which ports need to be open?

If you have questions please let me know

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

A few Questions:

I have a docucolor242 with built in Fiery connected to a wireless network
    When you say wireless network - do you mean that the Fiery RIP is connected Wirelessly ? to the Router or Do you have a Wireless Router to which the Fiery is Hard Wired i.e. Network Cable direct to the Router ?

With the Fiery connected to network - all bustled RIP's out of the box are defaulted to DHCP - so has it come ready & spat out a sheet with an IP address in your range..?

If you want the MAC address of the Fiery it is probably easier to leave it on DHCP & assuming the previous step has happened on the DC242 GUI go into Tools -> Print Pages -> You should see a "Network Controller Icon" if you select that & hit Configuration Page it should spit out a Config Sheet..
    The MAC address will be on it, you can then reserve the IP Address & MAC Address.

Assuming this all works I would be inclined to see whether the CWS Search finds you newly installed printer ? if not make sure you can ping the Fiery do you get a response ? if you do then physically point to the Fiery & connect via IP.

As to which ports - You say you can connect via IPP port 631 ? you could try telnet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:515 (LPD) 445 (SMB) 21 (FTP) 137-139 (NetBios) 80 (HTTP) to name a few - see whether these ports are locked off - Is your Network really locked down this heavily ??

Anyway a few things to try - let us know how you get on..
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

When you say wireless network - do you mean that the Fiery RIP is connected Wirelessly ? to the Router or Do you have a Wireless Router to which the Fiery is Hard Wired i.e. Network Cable direct to the Router ?

- Yes, wired to the router, which creates a wireless network

With the Fiery connected to network - all bustled RIP's out of the box are defaulted to DHCP - so has it come ready & spat out a sheet with an IP address in your range..?
    If you want the MAC address of the Fiery it is probably easier to leave it on DHCP & assuming the previous step has happened on the DC242 GUI go into Tools -> Print Pages -> You should see a "Network Controller Icon" if you select that & hit Configuration Page it should spit out a Config Sheet..
    The MAC address will be on it, you can then reserve the IP Address & MAC Address.

- Yes that's what I did, actually saying the printer DHCP manually, so it has a reserved IP.

- CWS search doesn't find the Fiery at static IP, but I can print using IPP on the same IP. That all talking about printing OUTSIDE the local network. INSIDE the network all works fine, except some little details such as previews of the documents in the CWS (does it give previews for pdf?) and the Java Configure (which gives me error Webserver <no name>).

- That's why I'm asking for ports: I couldn't have the resources report on the CWS in local network (toner, paper and ink and stuff) and I found out it was because the port assigned to pass these info was closed on the router.

Default Ports

Name:  ports.png
Views: 8947
Size:  107.3 KB

See the attached table for a list of ports used by the Fiery and it's applications.