Thread: Best settings for printing gradients??

Default Best settings for printing gradients??

Hi there

Running CWS 4 on a Xerox DCP700, some gradients are looking slightly 'banded'. It's not a machine fault as when the image is imposed 4up the banding is the same on each image so must be a rip fault.
    It's not too bad but would like to get better.

Can someone setting any settings in CWS Properites which may help? I've tried 'Image Smoothing' and also 'Text/Graphics' @ Best and 'Image Quality' @ Best etc but no difference.

Any suggestions would be great.

Printfun is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Printfun is on a distinguished path

You can try using a different screen value or dot shape. That has worked with mixed results in the past. Of course, this type of issue is usually better fixed in the native file if you have someone there who is capable of making the edits.

How are you calibrating your machine? In the past on my older 3260, I would get horrible banding with gradients but I was only calibrating by using the built-in scan bed. When I got my C900 and the ES1000 that came with it, I calibrated my 3260 and the banding disappeared! So, from my personal experience the calibration has a big part to play with banding problems!
    Currently using CWS 5.3.1.32 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Running 3 Ricoh machines:
    Pro C900 - ProC900 v4.0 System 8 Release 2 (PLP Installed)
    Pro 1107ex - EB-1357ex v1.1 System 8 Release 2
    Aficio 3260 - E7000 v1.2 System 6e.

Thanks for replies. Calibrating with ES1000. From feedback seems to be a software version problem. I'm currently on CWS 4.7.0.29 which is out of date so will update to latest version and test again.