Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Printing from Corel X4 causes RIP-error

TomG is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor TomG is on a distinguished path

Question Printing from Corel X4 causes RIP-error

Our customer has massive problems when printing from CorelDraw X4 (version 14.0.0.701) to the Xerox Colour 560 printer with EFI Fiery EX-560 (external RIP). All patches have been applied to the EX-560 and the latest driver is in use (German language, version 4.1, driver version 6.0.6001.22116, interface version 4.11.015.0, job properties version 2.1.0.103, PS5UI.DLL, EF001183.PPD). The customer is using Windows XP (32 bit) on 3 PCs and everywhere the same error occurs:

The job is not printing. The Fiery protocol shows "RIP-Fehler" (RIP error). After the error occured once CorelDraw does not print on any printer (e.g. Xerox DocuColor 240 with Embedded Fiery, System 6) -> the same RIP error is shown. CorelDraw also cannot export to PDF no more.

Workaround: close CorelDraw and re-open it. Often this helps but not always. Then the customer tries to reboot all devices (PCs, printers and Fiery). The same files can be printed sometimes and sometimes not. It's a miracle.

I noticed that on Windows 7 (64 bit) a higher driver version is installed in comparison to Windows XP although the same driver files are used.

Any ideas?

Examples:

- protocol of XC560: http://pastebin.com/6G85qt93
    - protocol of DC240: http://pastebin.com/BLb3W0Ya

CorelDraw X4 is one of those applications that generates its own Postscript where EFI's software doesn't have full control over it.
    I believe that changing the regional options/formats from the XP client to US International would solve the issue. Can you please confirm this? Also, do you mean that it works fine from Windows 7?

thanks
    l-

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent_H View Post
    CorelDraw X4 is one of those applications that generates its own Postscript where EFI's software doesn't have full control over it.
    You say the reason could be that Corel produces its own PostScript and does not use the driver's PS5UI.DLL (Adobe PostScript library, Windows default)? Is there a way to suppress this so that the PostScript driver is used instead?

Corel works fine for all other printers including Xerox DC240 (Embedded Fiery, System 6), Xerox WC7655 (Xerox internal office controller) and others. Why should this occur only when choosing the EFI Fiery driver of the EX-560?
    I believe that changing the regional options/formats from the XP client to US International would solve the issue.
    I don't understand. Can you explain this in detail? It sounds like you want me to change the system's regional settings? Or do you mean the settings for non-unicode applications?
    Can you please confirm this? Also, do you mean that it works fine from Windows 7?
    Not really because the customer doesn't have Windows 7 installed. But Xerox Customer Support Centre in Germany tested it with Windows 7, CorelDraw X4 and EX-560 without problems.

Even if this is fixed with Windows 7 it shouldn't occur in Windows XP. As I wrote a different driver is installed for XP and 7 even if you're using the same driver files. This is why I believe that the EFI Fiery driver is the problem.

Thanks for your ideas and any solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    You say the reason could be that Corel produces its own PostScript and does not use the driver's PS5UI.DLL (Adobe PostScript library, Windows default)? Is there a way to suppress this so that the PostScript driver is used instead?

Corel works fine for all other printers including Xerox DC240 (Embedded Fiery, System 6), Xerox WC7655 (Xerox internal office controller) and others. Why should this occur only when choosing the EFI Fiery driver of the EX-560?

I don't understand. Can you explain this in detail? It sounds like you want me to change the system's regional settings? Or do you mean the settings for non-unicode applications?

Not really because the customer doesn't have Windows 7 installed. But Xerox Customer Support Centre in Germany tested it with Windows 7, CorelDraw X4 and EX-560 without problems.

Even if this is fixed with Windows 7 it shouldn't occur in Windows XP. As I wrote a different driver is installed for XP and 7 even if you're using the same driver files. This is why I believe that the EFI Fiery driver is the problem.

Thanks for your ideas and any solutions.
    The root cause for the offending command is an invalid value in a line that contains a value which is not recognized as a number. The comma is a localized representation for the decimal point. It should have a dot instead of a comma. This information is generated by Corel (@BeginSysCorelDict) and occurs with just the PS core driver.

I do not know why it would work with other Fiery models (I understood that it should be the same problem with a DC260), so you may want Xerox Germany to raise a log for it, or check with CorelDRAW support.

Also, please us me know if changing the Windows XP OS regional settings for the decimals to US/Intl is a workaround (and therefore proves the issue with the decimal point).

thanks,
    l-

See the corrupt PS file that CorelDraw created with the Fiery EX-560 driver attached as Zip.

As I already said this doesn't happen with other drivers.

I'll check the regional setting thing and let you know. The strange thing is that the error comes up sometimes only, not always...CorelDrawX4_ErrorPostScript.zip

k_graham is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor k_graham is on a distinguished path

In Coreldraw when printing have you tried to switch from Postscript 3 to Postscript 2. I forget if its under Postscript or Misc tab?

I don't know of this specific instance but have in past found jobs that print using postscript 2 but not postscript 3 so I keep a print option set as below. Never having used German settings I can't say if it will do the trick but give it a try.

You can set up a set of printer options such as auto Flatten, Optimize Fountain fills, Crop marks on external only. If you don't auto flatten its possible a complex vector image will simply drop off your drawing.

And another with Crop marks off for when printing mixed color and black pages and not wanting black pages to color click as Crop marks always are 4 colors unless doing the job as monochrome.

Ken
    Ken Graham
    Docucolor 240, 250, 12, 12 external RIPs EXP250
    Canon IR7200, 105 with M1, M2 external RIPs
    and 1 broken down Ikon CPP500 internal RIP
    Community Printers.com

Sent from Linux computer -- see http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by k_graham View Post
    In Coreldraw when printing have you tried to switch from Postscript 3 to Postscript 2.
    Yes I did but it didn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by k_graham View Post
    You can set up a set of printer options such as auto Flatten, Optimize Fountain fills, Crop marks on external only. If you don't auto flatten its possible a complex vector image will simply drop off your drawing [...]
    I'd be glad if anything would come out of the printer :-)

This week I wanna make further tests with Corel X4 on a Win XP machine.

k_graham is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor k_graham is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    Yes I did but it didn't help.

I'd be glad if anything would come out of the printer :-)

This week I wanna make further tests with Corel X4 on a Win XP machine.
    Does that machine have PCL drivers as a alternative till they manage a patch?

Ken
    Ken Graham
    Docucolor 240, 250, 12, 12 external RIPs EXP250
    Canon IR7200, 105 with M1, M2 external RIPs
    and 1 broken down Ikon CPP500 internal RIP
    Community Printers.com

Sent from Linux computer -- see http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Default temporary workaround, no solution

Hello guys, I could get a trial version of Corel X4 (same version as customer) and now I can reproduce the PostScript error. I tried your tip and changed the units in the regional settings (control panel) and it seems to work.

But: this setting interferes with other programs like MS Excel, e.g. the comma and thousand-separator is switched in Germand and English what is a problem when printing from MS Office documents (imagine a Word document that contains diagrammes with Excel-formatted numbers).

Also, the default currency in Excel & Co. is changed to US Dollars oder British Pounds. That's not good.

A fact: The error occurs only with the EX-560 driver, not with other Xerox drivers like WorkCentre or DocuColor 240.

I also tested an old EX-560 driver (that is delivered on CD with the Fiery software) where the problem did not occur... But I couldn't test it very often (the error occurs sometimes, not always, so you have to do some printing tests).

So I assume that this is not a Corel-only related problem because it comes up only when using the EX-560 driver. Also I noticed, that the expert settings in the "Farbe" (color) tab in the German driver still is shown in English -> but only under Windows XP 32-bit! In Windows 7 64-bit a different driver version is installed although I'm using the same driver files.

Any new ideas?

EFI QA confirmed that the Fiery EX260 will also show this problem if job is sent from localized client system. Corel Draw with localized languages uses comma separator for decimal separation (1,234 for 1.234 in English) which PS interpreter fails to understand.

This is incorrect from application (Corel Draw 4) point which should always maintain same standard. Therefore, EFI Engineering will stand by its decline. It is much easier to correct it on Corel if reported to them.

Hope this clarifies,

l-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast