Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Need Assistance - Xerox 700 DC with Fiery EX700

Yes, and they didn't know much oddly enough. Keep in mind that while we are a "Xerox Company", we utilize level 2 support from our parent company GIS (Global Imaging Systems) which is closely tied to Xerox. So I don't know if I am talking to true Xerox or shared Xerox. Either way, calling Xerox directly causes them to point me to GIS as the serial number pulls up under Dahill as a seperate company.

Usually they know this, but it is sometimes hard to get the one who does know and the one who is on the same knowledge level as I am.

Craig,

In regards to Windows Updates, should I not install those unless prompted to by the System Upgrade Utility provided by EFI or should I let Windows do what it needs to. The concern I have is that the print shop this setup is in doesn't run a proxy or anything. They use a basic setup in regards to security and I would like to minimize as much as possible any issues that may come up do to something getting on the Fiery system since this does not have a firewall or anti-virus on it.

For that, it's really up to you. Rarely does a Fiery patch require a specific Microsoft patch. If it did, it would be detailed in the release notes. If you're concerned about security, feel free to remove its internet access and just do the MS updates when your on-site for other reasons. -Craig

Craig,

Two more quick things.

1) Per the link for updating CWS, it offers a link for PC with FEA and without. Per the information given, it states to load the smaller sized version if loading straight to a Fiery server that does not contain FEA. Yet, the System software disc that I restored from included installing the FEA options on its own. Which is the correct one to install straight to the EX700 server.

2) I also have Impose dongle to install once CWS is updated. It came with a disc including Acrobat 8.1 and Enfocus PitStop Pro 7.2. Are there any updates I should be concerned about with this? If so, do you have a link?

Thanks.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Gus,

Along with Craigs Advice & some of the more anecdotal advice offered in earlier posts, A quick how to guide [ I do this for a living + I installed this yesterday on a new EX700 ].

From your earlier comments I believe you have an EX700 running V1.5 + the three letter prefix on the Fiery is TBA ? The Software should look like this:

KIT CONTENTS:
    EX700 v1.5 CUSTOMER MEDIA PACK (TBA) CONTENTS: (301N45210).

This runs XP FES Embedded.

At this point whilst it is possible ( just ) to complete this without a Monitor / Keyboard & mouse - it will make your life alot easier.

Remove all dongles / network cables etc + boot from DVD 1 follow all on screen instructions & when prompted remove DVD 1 allow Fiery to reboot & install OS, again when prompted then load the User Software DVD 2 & allow to install till completion. If you have an Acrobat disk, after the User Software has completed loading it will prompt you to load Acrobat, again allow this to load until completion.

The Fiery will now reboot - when it comes ready you can now configure all network settings, if running impose put in your dongle & connect to your DC700. Check functionality of device.

Having confirmed it all works you can now patch it - you can either use autoupdate to down load & install or bring the patches with you ( I tend to do that as depending on download speed - this can seriously add time to the install ). You can find the EFI download site from going to the embedded Fiery webpage 127.0.0.1 in IE - click Configuration Tab then "Check for Product Updates" ( assuming Internet Connection ) you should land on this page:

https://liveupdate.efi.com/WebUpdate...2bEF852313.PRO

Obviously Autoupdate will put the patches on in the correct order - if your doing it manually it is a good idea to save the above webpage as an mht file with your patches so that you can refer to it.

Some of the patches contain new print drivers - these can be fairly mahoosive also it can make the Fiery unresponsive on reboot - a good tip when loading any patches is when you see the Command Bar ( Blue Bar across top of screen ) stating Exited - do a ctrl + alt +del & select Task Manager, then the Processes Tab & look for activity. Quite often even though the Fiery is showing exited it is loading the patch in the background, you will see unzip.exe, netsh1.exe etc keep appearing / disappearing. Don't be tempted to reboot -be patient & allow to come ready.

Now to upgrade to CWS 5.3, download from here:

http://w3.efi.com/Fiery/Products/CWS...load/thank-you

As you have a system 8 Fiery you only need to download:

Command WorkStation v.5.3 (Windows) (274 MB) for installation on Fiery servers running system 6, 7, 8, or 8 R2.

When downloaded simply run the exe & follow the instructions.

Another good tip is to only save downloads to the Fiery's E: drive. The way the drives are partioned the D: drive only has around 15 Gb so if you download / store on the Desktop it soon uses this up + the Temp directory is also on D as well..

If you want to you can now also update Acrobat if you really want to ( Again assuming Internet Connection - haven't got a link for that ).

As for the Microsoft Updates, since you are running XP FES embedded the patches come straight from Microsoft - so you may want to look at the environment the Fiery will be operating in - if it is a little Printshop with no Internet access, probably OK to leave as is, if it is going into a Corporate IT environment it will probably need all of them.. also if you let run & install XP SP3 this will automatically re-enable the firewall so bear this in mind when it reboots & you cannot print to it..

Having spent the best part of a day doing this - probably a good idea to Clone the Fiery - you can download Ver 1.4 Clone from here: http://services.efi.com/support/driv...toolbox&ver=NA

Also having done all of this you will now need to update the customer's client drivers by downloading them from the Fiery - this will then include the new drivers from the patching - you can also download the Printer Delete Utility from the above link as well.

I think that about covers it...

Awesome information! Thanks to everyone!

Awesome post by thistlegorm.

It provided me with one link I was looking for. I have several fierys that are on a private network. They do not have access to the out side world.

It appears that one of the links given by thistlegorm will get me to the list of updates for the ex700. Does anyone have the link for an ex4112? Or better yet does anyone have a link where I can choose my fiery and SS version.

Thanks in advance to all

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

EX4112 - 4127 V 2.5 Software:

Try this:

https://liveupdate.efi.com/WebUpdate...61EF345521.PPD

Don't I get any Stars ...??
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 08-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Exactly what I was looking for...
    20 platinum stars to you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3