+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OS X 10.6.8 Update

Default OS X 10.6.8 Update

Apple's 10.6.8 update has caused some printers to break (printers that have been working fine for years), and we are looking for a resolution to this from Apple. For users who are seeing this problem in the field and can't wait for a fix from Apple, there is a workaround.

This workaround consists of adding a *cupsSNMPSupplies: False line to a ppd file in the /etc/cups/ppd folder. You’ll need administrative privileges to perform this workaround. Detailed steps are outlined below.

For this example we will use ColorPrinter as the name of the printer affected by the 10.6.8 update.

1. From the Finder menu choose Go, then Go to Folder…
    2. Enter /etc/cups/ppd in the Go to Folder dialog box and choose Go.
    3. Find the ppd named ColorPrinter.ppd. (This is the same name as the ColorPrinter in Print and Fax with a .ppd extension. )
    4. Drag the ColorPrinter.ppd to the Desktop.
    5. Open the ColorPrinter.ppd with TextEdit.
    6. At the end of the PPD add the following line exactly as written: *cupsSNMPSupplies: False
    7. Save the modified ColorPrinter.ppd to the Desktop.
    8. From the /etc/cups/ppd folder, move the original ColorPrinter.ppd to the trash. Authenticate when prompted.
    9. Drag the modified ColorPrinter.ppd from the Desktop to the /etc/cups/ppd folder. Authenticate when prompted.
    10. Printing should now work as expected. (You may have to start the print queue if it was previously paused.)

Tried this workaround and still got the same problem, still cannot access properties or Impose.

Any other suggestions?

Hello,

The most common symptom from the 10.6.8 update is the print queue on the Mac will go into a Paused state when printing. The Apple 10.6.8 update has nothing to do with Job Properties not working in CWS.

For Job Properties not working please see my other suggestion here.
    http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthrea...ding-correctly

Best regards,
    Bruce

Default Similar troubles with Minolta Copiers/Printers

I have a Minolta DI450 and 8031 and I can't print to either one using the EFI Fiery X3 drivers. I have tried using the fix listed in the first post of this thread, but I still get the same trouble. The Acrobat PDF printer is paused every time I send to either printer, but the printers themselves are not saying paused. When I choose the EFI driver (to enable access to double sided, stapled, etc) the printer status window says "The driver has not been installed correctly. Please reinstall the driver or contact the manufacturer." Until the 10.6.8 update, these drivers were working fine. Any other suggestions?

Mac OSX 10.6.8
    Drivers:
    Minolta Di450 - Fiery x3 55bw-m ps server v2.0
    Minolta 8031 - Fiery x3e 31c-m ps color server v2.0
    Last edited by falcon8; 07-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Hello,

Before the 10.6.8 update, many of our Intel Mac compatible drivers required a CUPS filter permissions fix to print properly with 10.6. Without this permissions fix the most common symptom would be "The driver has not been installed properly" error message. I don't believe the controllers you've mentioned had an Intel Mac compatible driver but this is how we would normally resolve "The driver has not been installed properly" error message with 10.6.

1. Delete the existing printer.
    2. Run the Fiery Driver Updater located here. http://services.efi.com/support/driv...osx_106&ver=NA
    3. Add or recreate the printer.
    4. Now if you are getting the printer is paused error the workaround at the beginning of this thread may work you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or changes anything for you.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Default Apple resolved this issue with an update

Please see our post for additional information on Apple's solution at http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthrea...inter-Solution

Thumbs up Thanks for the additional info

Thanks for the additional info regarding the Fiery Updater, Bruce. Once I followed those instructions, both printers appear to be working fine now.

+ Reply to Thread