+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to convert any XP or Older PS printer drivers to Win7 32 or 64 bit when EFI wont

k_graham is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor k_graham is on a distinguished path

Default How to convert any XP or Older PS printer drivers to Win7 32 or 64 bit when EFI wont

How to convert any XP or Older PS printer drivers to Win7 32 or 64 bit when EFI won't

- based on a post on Printowners by David, referencing back to Microsoft and my experience installing a Doc12 driver using a different EFI current Windows7 compatible driver.

You need to download a current genuine Adobe printer driver of a printer you Don't have so references to it don't get confused with another printer you have.Also it seems there are some drivers that are Generic looking with no ability to save combinations of settings, for instance Ricoh 1515 for Win7 32 and the one for Win7 64 bit - they look like the driver created in XP when using Adobes 1.06 but they seem to have no flaws - the drivers that do allow one to save settings seem to be the ones that get confused when trying to restore a few items at one time, paper weight, drawer, landscape vs portrait etc. If the driver has troubles like this, likely so will the modified driver. Another Generic driver that I found works is the Ricoh Aficio MP 4001 PS as you need a different driver for each printer you need to build for.

Download a Genuine Adobe postscript driver of any printer that will work with the desired Windows operating system you have, Windows7, Vista, 32 bit or 64 bit. (for instance Ricoh 1515 or MP 4001) Though an exe file they normally unzip to a temporary directory -After unzipping the files, look within the folder or subfold that the files unzip to for a PPD file or 2 in cases where there are more than 1 printer bundled in the driver.

Add the word -old to the PPD file for the current printer name. Copy your Docucolor 12 Fiery PPD if desiring a Fiery docucolor 12 printer driver into the directory - Copy the ppd to the ppd file name of the other ppd you renamed with old, but without the word old and delete the other ppd with old in it completely.

Now go through the regular Add Printer Wizard, choose your port,
    then for the Printer, click 'Have Disk' then browse to the folder and choose the inf file - it will give you the name of the printer instead of Doc12 but you may simply Rename it to your desired name when installing.

It gave me a warning about not being digitally signed. click to continue. I renamed from the default to DC12color.

If the printer driver you modified is another EFI printer it will have some look and feel as a efi printer but with settings limited to the Doc12 ppd. If you chose a more Generic printer(like Ricoh 1515) it won't have the look and feel, you may not be able to save different size, weight color combinations in that case, but it will work with all features of the original.

Today I installed to a Windows 7 32 bit and to windows 7 64 bit computer and both printed a successful test sheet they also have the Windows Free Form wording in them. I have yet to do more serious testing but it looks like its going to be better than the Xerox Universal Print driver alternative as that Xerox supplied driver did not have FreeForm capability.
    Last edited by k_graham; 06-13-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Another driver that works
    Ken Graham
    Docucolor 240, 250, 12, 12 external RIPs EXP250
    Canon IR7200, 105 with M1, M2 external RIPs
    and 1 broken down Ikon CPP500 internal RIP
    Community Printers.com

Sent from Linux computer -- see http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Is this the same Ken Graham that I used to know at Kodak?

Steve Weiss
    Production Print Engineer
    Ricoh Production Printing
    Iselin, NJ

k_graham is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor k_graham is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
    Is this the same Ken Graham that I used to know at Kodak?

Steve Weiss
    Production Print Engineer
    Ricoh Production Printing
    Iselin, NJ
    I never worked in Kodak - am Canadian - own CommunityPrinters.com
    Ken Graham
    Docucolor 240, 250, 12, 12 external RIPs EXP250
    Canon IR7200, 105 with M1, M2 external RIPs
    and 1 broken down Ikon CPP500 internal RIP
    Community Printers.com

Sent from Linux computer -- see http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

+ Reply to Thread