Thread: CWS 5.2.0.46 Crashing on Windows 7 64

Hybrid View

Default CWS 5.2.0.46 Crashing on Windows 7 64

We have one computer that we use as out main interface for all of our Fiery's. It is running Windows 7 x64 with CWS 5.2.046. The Fiery's we are running are:
    (2) S-2 connected to Canon 7095's
    (1) Ricoh C-900s

The problem that we are having is that when double clicking on any job or right clicking and going to properties on the C-900s, CWS crashes. This doesn't happen on any of our other computers (Macs or PC's) and doesn't happen when going into properties for either S-2 Fierys from this main PC.

All software updates are off on the computer and the user is set as a standard user. When this starts to happen, we can login to the administrator account on the PC and create another user on the computer, CWS will work fine on that user for a period of time (1 week - 1 month). Then the same thing will start happening again. We have had our service technician come out and reinstall the software on the Fiery and we have wiped the PC clean and installed a fresh install, but still the same problems.

We will install CWS 5.3 to see if this solves our problem, but I am grateful for any other insight that anyone can offer.
    Joel Weinstein
    Southbury Printing Centre, Inc.

Ricoh Pro 8120s with Plockmatic Bookletmaker
    Ricoh C7110x with extended tray and 5th color unit

I can't really offer any specific advice, but let you know that CWS 5, C900 and Win 7 x64 are all compatible, that's my combo. I've never come across a problem where opening job properties causes CWS to crash. I think giving CWS 5.3 a try is definitely worth it. It solved a few other random issues I was having, so maybe it will solve this one for you! Also, what version of Fiery do you have on the C900S? Is it fully updated, including the "Post Launch Patch" if it's V4?

As troubleshooting something like this could be a seemingly unconnected item, you may also try some of the following:

- swap network cables on the C900S
    - try a different network port for the C900S on the router/switch/hub
    - if possible, change the IP address of the C900S

Just a few things I know I'd try!
    Currently using CWS 5.3.1.32 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Running 3 Ricoh machines:
    Pro C900 - ProC900 v4.0 System 8 Release 2 (PLP Installed)
    Pro 1107ex - EB-1357ex v1.1 System 8 Release 2
    Aficio 3260 - E7000 v1.2 System 6e.

It may also be worth doublechecking the firmware on your C900 engine. There have been some issues in the past where CWS hangs when communicating with the engine while using paper catalog.

Default Cws 5.3

I had already checked and rechecked all connections, cables etc. I did install CWS 5.3 and have been up and running for the past week with no problems so far.

I'll let you know how we make out if it starts crashing.

Joel
    Joel Weinstein

we do experience just the same problem:

CWS 4 (latest) or CWS 5.2 both on a Windows XP SP3 machine with a Ricoh C900 machine too.

Clicking on the properties of a printjob just hangs the CWS and the property dialog does not pop up.

Using CWS 4/5 from another PC is ok and even from another useraccount on the problematic PC shows the property dialog without problems.

So this must be something which happens inside the user account (settings/registy whatever).

Sorry, but changig cables etc will definately not help as this is user account specific as mentioned above.

I tried to uninstall/install CWS5 without success and installing the latest Java 6.25 didn't help either.

Any idea how to debug this problem? I'd like to trace the program like I would do it in Linux with "strace" but no idea how to do this in Windows.

Please help
    Thilo

Default Tracing

Quote Originally Posted by thilowunderlich View Post
    we do experience just the same problem:

CWS 4 (latest) or CWS 5.2 both on a Windows XP SP3 machine with a Ricoh C900 machine too.

Clicking on the properties of a printjob just hangs the CWS and the property dialog does not pop up.

Using CWS 4/5 from another PC is ok and even from another useraccount on the problematic PC shows the property dialog without problems.

So this must be something which happens inside the user account (settings/registy whatever).

Sorry, but changig cables etc will definately not help as this is user account specific as mentioned above.

I tried to uninstall/install CWS5 without success and installing the latest Java 6.25 didn't help either.

Any idea how to debug this problem? I'd like to trace the program like I would do it in Linux with "strace" but no idea how to do this in Windows.

Please help
    Thilo
    I unfortunately cannot offer you any kind of help other than that so far (1 week) the installation of CWS 5.3 has not been crashing.

I have all updating disabled on the Windows PC so I can only assume that like you had stated there is a corruption somewhere in the user account itself.

Good Luck.

Joel
    Joel Weinstein

Well, I'm having CWS crash intermittently on me as well. Here's the error details as shown by Windows:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: cws.exe

Application Version: 5.3.0.54

Application Timestamp: 4dc52e65

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7ba58

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0002e3fb

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 4105

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    Currently using CWS 5.3.1.32 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Running 3 Ricoh machines:
    Pro C900 - ProC900 v4.0 System 8 Release 2 (PLP Installed)
    Pro 1107ex - EB-1357ex v1.1 System 8 Release 2
    Aficio 3260 - E7000 v1.2 System 6e.