Thread: Xerox 550 printer driver adds extra "auto tray" choice and creates major problems

Andersson is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Andersson is on a distinguished path

Default Xerox 550 printer driver adds extra "auto tray" choice and creates major problems

We have a new Xerox 550 with internal Fiery rip. We use latest OS X 10.6.7 and latest driver from Xerox.

When printing there is an extra "Auto" selection in the paper feed menu; Auto Tray Select.
    Name:  paper feed.png
Views: 3013
Size:  37.0 KB

The affect in Adobe CS5 applications is that the tray numbers are dislocate one step. If I select Tray 3 it will be read as Tray 2 in the Fiery. If I use the first selection "Auto Select" the paper source in the Fiery will be empty.

When printing from Apples built in applications (Mail, Safari etc) the tray choices all defaults to Auto Tray Select.

Maybe this is a Xerox or Apple bug but I am adding this thread here to see if there are others with the same problems.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

When you say you are using " The latest driver from Xerox" - are you downloading from Xerox.com ? as this might not be the latest. Check your config on the EX560 for the following updates:

1-1AEG52
    1-19QN74
    1-19OUUF
    1-1A3P9W

1-19OUUF is the latest driver - once this is successfully installed on the EX560 - use the Fiery MAC uninstaller to get rid of any previous MAC drivers for the EX560 - then in a Web Browser navigate to the IP address of the EX560 & in the Download Tab pull the MAC driver from there & re-install your printer on the MAC & see whether you still get the same result ?

Andersson is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Andersson is on a distinguished path

I meant that I have downloaded the latest driver here
    http://www.support.xerox.com/support...gSystem=macosx

The machine have these patches:
    1-18K6VL
    1-16C6H7
    1-19QN7Z
    1-19093E
    1-lASGUR

We have the machine set to auto update so I assume we have everything available. You wrote 560 and we have a 550 so maybe that's why the numbers don't match?

I have now compared the built in driver and the one at xerox.com. They look identical. Byte size is the same for the complete installation folder and comparing the ppd files also show that they are identical.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Sorry - I misread original post, you have a bustled RIP so the equivalent driver patch is 1-19093E - which as you say is already loaded. I would escalate this to Xerox software support they can then load it & see whether they get the same result ? if so this will then be escalated internally to EFI for a fix. Certainly looks like a bug to me..

I brought my own mac to work today. It has no printer drivers installed from before. I skipped them to save space. The computers at work have been around for a while and we have several printers and recently replaced the Xerox machine with the 550.

So how does the printing work when I install it in a clean system?

1. Apple programs = the same problem = always Auto Tray Select

2. InDesign CS5 = always Auto Tray Select

So InDesign is now acting like the Apple programs. Still wrong behavior though. I can also see the doubled auto selections in the paper feed menu.
    Last edited by Andersson; 05-04-2011 at 01:35 AM.