Thread: Imposition and variable data problem

Default Imposition and variable data problem

Using CWS5 , I have a 16 letter-size page Publisher booklet to print on tabloid paper and the only VDP is the address on the back page. , I understand I need to send pdfs of the letter-size pages to the Fiery and do all imposition there for the master and VDP. But do I need to send 16 pp for each address ( 15 blanks and the sheet with the address)?
    In Micropress, I can send a single page for each of the 250 addresses ( no blanks needed) and designate on which page of the master that VDP will print. Is there a similar setting with the CWS? I have been playing with the Length of Record button on the VDP tab, but that does not seem to affect anything. At times CWS requests I designate the length of record but it is grayed out.
    I've been through the Fiery How To Guides but they don't fit this situation. What am I missing? Anyone have a tutorial for this?

It sounds like you are using FreeForm 1 and designating the 16 page Publisher document as the FreeForm Master. In FreeForm 1, the Master defines the record length of the VDP job. In this case, when you associate a variable file to use this master the record length will be 16 pages and the variable file will need 16 pages per record as you described. The record length defined by the master overrides the Define Record Length parameter. Define Record Length can be used to configure a single file such as a mail merge document as a VDP file.

There is no method in Free Form 1 to assign a single variable page to a specific page in a multi page master. An alternative would be to use a dedicated VDP application to merge the variable data with the master. Most dedicated VDP applications can then output to a variety of VDP formats such as PPML but also including Free Form. You could use any VDP format supported by your Fiery.

BTW, you should not have to impose the FreeForm master. If you select the master in the Use Master section of the VDP tab in Job Properties, Impose will then recognize the variable file as a VDP job and impose on a per record basis.

Thank you for your response. It helps explain the workings of the VDP process in the CWS.