+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CWS 5 Mac with Network User Folders

Default CWS 5 Mac with Network User Folders

Wanted to see if anyone else had run into this issue. I just recently installed a Snow Leopard Server in our office and set up the user accounts to have their home folders on the server rather than on the local machines. With the home folders on a network drive Command Workstation will not launch. It does not give a crash message on screen just bounces in the dock once or twice then goes away. I've got the latest version of CWS 5.2 on 10.6.7.
    The console shows:

4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] 16:24:42: Error: Failed to lock the lock file '/Network/Servers/server.myserver.com/Users/username/Library/Preferences/EFI Rel3.Fiery Command WorkStation.username' (error 45: Operation not supported)
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] ==========
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] =======
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] =====
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] ===== Starting Folder: /Applications/Fiery/Command WorkStation 5/Command WorkStation.app/Contents/MacOS
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] ===== Data Folder: config:group=ConnectedServers
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] ===== Scan Folder[0]: /Applications/Fiery/Command WorkStation 5/Command WorkStation.app
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] ===== Scan Folder[1]: /Applications/Fiery/Command WorkStation 5/Command WorkStation.app
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] ===== Scan Folder[2]: /Applications/Fiery/Command WorkStation 5/Command WorkStation.app/Contents/plugins
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738] ===== Scan Folder[3]: /Applications/Fiery/Command WorkStation 5/Command WorkStation.app/Contents/MacOS
    4/7/11 4:24:42 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.1026[261] ([0x0-0x44044].com.efi.cws[738]) Exited with exit code: 255

Best I can tell command workstation tries to create the Preference file:
    EFI Rel3.Fiery Command WorkStation.username
    but for some reason can not on the network folder.

Command Workstation will launch fine on a local user account. I've tried taking the preference file that was created for the local account and moving it to the network user's Preferences folder but Command Workstation removes it on launch, something about "Removing a stale lock file" (don't have that console message available) then error's out with the "Can't lock the lock file" message.

I've also tried linking to the lock file on a local drive but no go, all I get are permission errors on the file in the console. I've tried setting the permissions on the network user Permissions folder to allow everyone write access on the off chance that Command Workstation just didn't have permission to access the folder but there was no change.

Wondering if anyone has any other ideas or has run into this issue before. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Having the same issue here, all our users are Open Directory users so their home folders are on a server.

The local admin account works fine. Network users, see a couple bounces then nothing.

Have not figured a workaround yet.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Allegraprint,

This looks like a permissions issue.

I don't have considerable MAC experience! - but you do get a similar issue if the Fiery is sat in a windows domain - as certain parts of CWS 5 & Hotfolders require Administrator rights before they can operate correctly.

On a PC we just add the logged in domain user into the local administrators group on the Fiery - I wonder whether you are experiencing a similar issue... but in MAC permissions..??

Hi

I am having the same problem as listed in Post #1.

And I have tried the same things.

I tried to copy the file from a Local User folder, and setting the permissions to the Network User. Failed.

I tried making a Symbolic Link to the file in another local folder, and setting the permissions to the Network User. Failed.

This is all with at Network User, which has its Home Folder located directly on a central server.

After this, I changed the Active Directory setup on the Mac's, to make a Mobile Network User instead. Which means, that a local user folder is created, and this local user folder is then periodically sync'ed to the central server instead.

With this setting, CWS 5 works.

But still, it should have work with a Network User account, with a User Folder located on a central server.

+ Reply to Thread