+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Archived Jobs List

Gavin is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Gavin is on a distinguished path

Lightbulb Archived Jobs List

This is something that has bugged me (and possibly others) for some time.

In the Import Archived Job list window, there seems to be no structure to the order in which archived jobs are listed other than them appearing alphabetically within groups of archive batches, i.e. if I archive a job today (Aardvark.pdf.dbp for example) it will not appear with other jobs alphabetically, but will be the last in the list. Therefore, when I import this job in a few weeks, I have to hunt through a huge list of archived jobs in order to find it.

Can something be implemented by way of filtering or ordering the structure of the archive window in order to sort jobs by name, date or archive date order.

Thanks
    Konica Minolta bizhubpress C1085 - Fiery System FS150 Pro
    Fiery IC-308 v2.0 - CWS 5.8.0.39 SP2 on Windows 7 Pro SP1

Konica Minolta bizhub Pro C6501 (65C-KM V 3.0) - Fiery System 9
    Xerox DC250 (DC250 V 1.2) - Fiery System 8e Release 2
    Fiery Pro80 65-55C-KM PS Color Server 3.0a eu - CWS 5 (5.7.0.29) on Windows XP SP2

EFI CWS 5 (5.8.0.39 SP2) on Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7 Pro
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00GHz 4Gb RAM

Lightbulb Have you tried the search function?

A few ways around this:

1. In the top right corner of CWS5 is a search button. Type in all or part of your jobs name, and it will locate it for you, even if it's archived.

2. Instead of using the 'Import archived job' window, use the archived tab in the job center, next to the held and printed tab. In this window you can sort by name, date, user, etc. Once you've found your job you can print, move to hold, or edit it from there.

G.

Gavin is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Gavin is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by Greta_C View Post
    A few ways around this:

1. In the top right corner of CWS5 is a search button. Type in all or part of your jobs name, and it will locate it for you, even if it's archived.

2. Instead of using the 'Import archived job' window, use the archived tab in the job center, next to the held and printed tab. In this window you can sort by name, date, user, etc. Once you've found your job you can print, move to hold, or edit it from there.

G.
    I am fully aware of the search and ordering structure within the panels, but when archives are stored remotely there is no way of ordering them. This usually occurs when the fiery has to be reinstalled. We keep our archives stored on a network drive so they are backed up. We have had far to many instances of losing archives following engineer visits!

Fiery Pro80 65-55C-KM PS Color Server 3.0a eu - CWS 5 (5.7.0.29) on Windows XP SP2

Default The ideal solution to this CWS Archive problem...

... is to make the Archived tab for any given server recognize all files that are in any archive location, whether it be on the local server drive or in a network archive folder.

We have 3 Fiery servers, and need to import and print archived jobs on any of them, even on more than one machine, depending on the schedule. All archived jobs are in the same folder on a backed up network server.
    But... the Archive tab only shows you what you archived from that server, not what is stored in your archive location.
    This is the root of the problem.

So if you archive a job on Fiery A, it doesn't appear in the Archive tab of Fiery B or C.
    You can import it, yes, but when you have 1500 jobs to search through, it's like watching a tennis match while riding a merry-go-round.

Our current solution for example ABC above is to:
    1) move the job from Archived to Held on Fiery A (where it appears in Archived)
    2) move the Held job on Fiery A to the Held tab on Fiery B (where it will actually print)

Yes, good solution if you are fortunate enough to have 3 Fierys! In our case we only have the luxury of the single Fiery, so cannot implement this.

If programmers had implemented some imagination then this situation woud never have arisen. Surely it's a simple case of using the same code for creating the import dialogue and using the Windows structure. All we end-users want is control over how our off-server archived files are displayed - go figure!

Gavin,

I don't know what CWS version you are using, and you may have tried this already, but:

In the Archived tab, the column heads should be sortable by left-clicking on them, and...
    by right-clicking the column head bar, you can set the columns you want to see and sort .

From the Archived tab, you should be able to simply right-click a file to print, or you can drag it to the Held tab, and a few other options.

I attached a screen capture of the right-click for columns, and I hope this helps a little.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by sunpress; 08-24-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks sunpress - I'm more than aware of the tab structuring within CWS, it's the off-server ordering that is the problem.
    We do not keep every file we have ever printed on the server, but back them up to a remote server on a monthly basis and clear out the old files from within CWS. Hence, when we import an archive that is over a month old we are faced with sifting through an unstructured list to find the job we want.

Also, if the Fiery software needs reinstalling, the archives within CWS are cleared anyway.

You can see from this image that there is no order to the files listed on the remote server and when we have a list of over 1,000 jobs, it gets a bit tedious trawling through the list to get the job we want.

Name:  archive.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  87.1 KB

If the import archived job dialogue window was the same as the import job window, all our troubles would be over!

Sorry Gavin - I should have known the tab structure was not your issue.

I see what you are saying.

The only thing I can think of that might help is to let your remote server do the work:
    1) create a secondary archive folder on your remote server (e.g., Todays_Jobs)
    ----- this folder is not for archiving - just to temporarily hold jobs that you will import
    2) add that folder as an archive location using the Archive tool
    3) when you get ready to retrieve a job, go to your remote server and find the job in your main archive folder (where you can search or sort more easily & quickly)
    4) copy the archived job into the Todays_Jobs folder
    5) when you Import Archived Job, select Todays_Jobs as the directory, and the only jobs in there will be jobs you copied over
    ----- after importing, you can delete the job from the Todays_Jobs folder

I'm sure you already do this, but check the "Always prompt for archive locations and options" box to make sure the archives go where you want them.
    Last edited by sunpress; 08-24-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Has anything been done to fix this? It is quite annoying not to just be able to access the remote drive location and quickly find the archive I am looking for.

To just be clear, I am not interested in the "Archive Tab" as it doesn't apply to everything in the remote location. I am referring to the same thing Gavin is talking about.

Thumbs down Still not addressed/fixed

In the hope that this issue may have been addressed with the 5.4 upgrade, I see that this is not the case.

Surely the Dev team could find some way of implementing this?

On the same note, can anyone explain to me the following:

Fiery Workstation running CWS 5.4.0.76
    Archive job to network server
    Right-click job to get full context menu with ability to Print, Hold, Delete and view Properties.

Local PC running CWS 5.4.0.76
    Select archived job and the only options available are Delete and Properties.

This scenario is interchangeable, i.e. jobs archived on my local PC retain full control which is lost on the Fiery Workstation.

+ Reply to Thread