Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Turn On Duplex

Default Cannot Turn On Duplex

I'm trying to set up a workflow using Kodak Evo and a Canon C5045 to ouput laser mechanical proofs. For some reason I cannot get them to duplex. When printing directly to the printer from Acrobat, Excel, or Word, using the print drive, there is no problem getting the printer to duplex. I just can't seem to get it to do the same when utilizing the newly installed Fiery Command Workstation 5 and Hotfolders. Any ideas?

Hi Quordinator,

Which model Fiery product do you have and which exact CWS 5 version do you have?

Thanks,

Karl

I'm using CW5 version 5.0.1.12 installed on a server running Microsoft Windows Server 2003. The Canon C5045 has a Canon imagePASS B1 print server.

Thanks quordinator,

That is an old version of CWS. Current released version (the version posted on our website) is 5.2.0.46. Not that I expect this has much bearing on this issue however, this is the currently supported version.

Something in the printstream is overriding the duplex function. One cause I have seen for this is when there is no defined paper size in the job.

I'd recommend at this point that you get your regional Canon Support Center involved.

Thanks,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by quordinator View Post
    I'm trying to set up a workflow using Kodak Evo and a Canon C5045 to ouput laser mechanical proofs. For some reason I cannot get them to duplex. When printing directly to the printer from Acrobat, Excel, or Word, using the print drive, there is no problem getting the printer to duplex. I just can't seem to get it to do the same when utilizing the newly installed Fiery Command Workstation 5 and Hotfolders. Any ideas?
    Have you tried to "remove raster?" Right click the file and select "remove raster" then open "properties".

PY

Quote Originally Posted by gsprint View Post
    Have you tried to "remove raster?" Right click the file and select "remove raster" then open "properties".

PY
    Not sure what this would accomplish. The EPS Raster goes into a hotfolder that is directed to the CWS "hold" folder. Before it is processed the "Remove Raster" option is not available when right clicking. If I choose the "Process and Hold" action, CWS creates a raster. Then I can remove the raster, but that just gets me back to the point that I was before selecting "Process and Hold". At any point along the way, clicking on properties show the "Two Sided Printing" field to be set to "Long Edge Binding".

Still, the printed result is not duplexed. I have noticed that once the files are processed in CWS, each page can be selected and viewed in the pane to the right. After processing each page shows to contain two pages but the second page is blank. Perhaps it's the creation of these blank pages that is the problem. I think it may be printing them on the back of each sheet. Of course, being blank, nothing is actually printed.

Hi quordinator,

That's an interesting point about the blank pages.

If you see those blank pages you mentioned, then they are what is pritnting on the back sides of the jobs and the Fiery is actually processing it correctly.

Regards,

Karl

shmegenke is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor shmegenke is on a distinguished path

If the job has an EPS header, what happens if you view it in an application that can process EPS files? Do you see the blank pages then?

Sounds like the RIP may be working the way it's supposed to.

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

I'm a bit confused by your workflow. You're outputting EPS files and expecting them to duplex?

EPS is generally expected to be single-page. That you state that you can select each page in CWS and then see a preview on the right suggests that each page is arriving as a single file.

How are you merging the EPS files?

The Raster EPS files that are being sent from Kodak EVO are single page when opened up in a Preview from my Mac. I also tried outputting them as PDF files from EVO. They were single page PDFs before CWS ripped them. When they are ripped they become two page pdfs with the second page being blank. It certainly seems to eliminate EVO and point toward a problem happening during the processing stage in CWS.

I did install Command WorkStation 5 version 5.2.0.46 on my client server along with the updated version of Hotfolders and etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast