Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Repeating white dot pattern on solid black

Default Repeating white dot pattern on solid black

Hi,

We've developed a new issue with our Fiery System 9. On prints where we have pure black solid fills I see a repeating "diamond-like" shape of white dots. I've tried various settings in Command Workstation without any luck in correcting the issue.

However, when I output a solid black image from our KM C6500 Pro from the engine itself (bypassing the fiery) the black is solid black with no dot pattern.

I've attached an image of what I see on a black solid fill.

Thanks for your time.
    Attached Images  

Any suggestions before our service provider downgrades us to System 8 R2?

Hi Emgee,

It's difficult to tell from the attachment but it doesn't look like a Fiery controller problem. I tried our our System 9.0 controller for this engine and don't see anything similar.

What sort of document are you printing to produce the black image, is it RGB or CMYK data?

Is your black image file printing 4 color black or black only?

If you process and hold the job, do the spots show up in Preview or EFI ImageViewer?

Has service already determined it's not a engine problem?

Best regards,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_W View Post
    Hi Emgee,

It's difficult to tell from the attachment but it doesn't look like a Fiery controller problem. I tried our our System 9.0 controller for this engine and don't see anything similar.
    Thank you for getting back to me and for the initial testing you did.

What sort of document are you printing to produce the black image, is it RGB or CMYK data?
    It's a PDF document in CMYK, no RGB. I've even rebuilt the PDF using rasterized versions rather than vector to make sure that wasn't the issue in some way.

Is your black image file printing 4 color black or black only?
    I have it set to pure black and not rich black/process black. I ensured that it was pure black in the source file as well.

If you process and hold the job, do the spots show up in Preview or EFI ImageViewer?
    Unfortunately the preview doesn't allow me to zoom in enough. The image attachment I included in my original post was zoomed in 600% or so. The dots I see are white little pinholes, quite small.

Has service already determined it's not a engine problem?
    Yes they did. Drums, chargers and developer were replaced. Also, if we output a test print (solid black) print from the C6500 Pro's service screens it prints solid black, no white pinholes. The only time the pinholes appear is if it is sent by the Fiery. Even the Fiery's 34 patch calibration page I print shows the white pinholes on the black patches.

If there is any other information I can provide, let me know!

Thanks
    Last edited by Emgee; 03-16-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: bad quote tag, typo

Lightbulb Anti-counterfeit dot pattern

Is this dot pattern on your solid black actually a yellow dot pattern produced as an anti-counterfeit measure by the engine manufacturer ?

The regularity of the pattern makes me think this and if this is the case it's impossible to bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mc View Post
    Is this dot pattern on your solid black actually a yellow dot pattern produced as an anti-counterfeit measure by the engine manufacturer ?

The regularity of the pattern makes me think this and if this is the case it's impossible to bypass.
    Nope, not yellow dots. Definitely white dots. I'm familiar with the yellow dots of the anti-counterfeit measure. I've never seen this (white dots) before when printing solid black when we were running Fiery 8 Release 2; this 'showed' up with Fiery 9.

As mentioned, the white dots don't show themselves when a solid black print is made from the service menu of the copier (thereby bypassing the Fiery entirely) or making a pure black photocopy off the glass.

Thanks.

Hemlock is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Hemlock is on a distinguished path

If you were printing standard black instead of process black, would the printer still make its watermark in yellow or would it then be white? I'm inclined to think that this may be a security stamp embedded in the fiery. A counterfeit bill with one security code from hardware and a second from a rip device would make tracking down the criminal that much easier.

/tinfoil
    Fiery E-80 driving a Ricoh C900; Micropress v8.3 tethered to a Ricoh 1107 & 1357.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    If you were printing standard black instead of process black, would the printer still make its watermark in yellow or would it then be white? I'm inclined to think that this may be a security stamp embedded in the fiery. A counterfeit bill with one security code from hardware and a second from a rip device would make tracking down the criminal that much easier.
    Not sure. As I mentioned, I never saw this occuring with prints when we were on Fiery 8 R2. We even see the white dots on the black patches on the calibration print through Colorwise calibration. Never saw that before either.

Quote Originally Posted by Emgee View Post
    Thank you for getting back to me and for the initial testing you did.

It's a PDF document in CMYK, no RGB. I've even rebuilt the PDF using rasterized versions rather than vector to make sure that wasn't the issue in some way.

I have it set to pure black and not rich black/process black. I ensured that it was pure black in the source file as well.

Unfortunately the preview doesn't allow me to zoom in enough. The image attachment I included in my original post was zoomed in 600% or so. The dots I see are white little pinholes, quite small.

Yes they did. Drums, chargers and developer were replaced. Also, if we output a test print (solid black) print from the C6500 Pro's service screens it prints solid black, no white pinholes. The only time the pinholes appear is if it is sent by the Fiery. Even the Fiery's 34 patch calibration page I print shows the white pinholes on the black patches.

If there is any other information I can provide, let me know!

Thanks
    Hi Have you got an option on ure Fiery to process the job using an adobe PDF Print engine??? if you have it will be with in the job properties. If you have this feature try an re-process the job with this enabled!!!! I have found that it sorts alot of my problems out when im dealing with PDFs

Quote Originally Posted by StressFreePrint View Post
    Hi Have you got an option on ure Fiery to process the job using an adobe PDF Print engine??? if you have it will be with in the job properties. If you have this feature try an re-process the job with this enabled!!!! I have found that it sorts alot of my problems out when im dealing with PDFs
    I use Command Workstation 5.2 to submit the jobs to the 6500.

I haven't tried printing from Acrobat using the Fiery PS driver though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast