Quote Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
Please try to avoid generalizing one specific Fiery controller issue to general EFI behavior. This risks confusing other users.
I mentioned my machine model, right at the top there.

This is only true with System 8R2 and earlier Fiery controllers. System 9 and later controllers use the universal Packagemaker-based installers and do not require Rosetta. Obviously, with 10.7 coming any day now, we're going to need to do something about the pre-system9 controllers.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the problems that were introduced with OS 10.6 (notorious, even in this thread) weren't interesting enough for EFI to address, but the 10.7 problems will be? Well, better late than never I suppose.

Also, what would you suggest: I dump an 18-month old machine simply because my controller just missed your cutoff for being worth it for EFI to update? I'm not surprised by the business model, but a little disappointed. Every single other production machine I maintain - with ages ranging from 6 months to 14 years old - has current, updated drivers. Except my EFI Fiery controller.

With regard to older products like your DC242
Oh? Older? Why is it still the first model that one sees when looking under Xerox's site under Production Equipment/Production Printers & Copiers? "Featured", no less? I take it these machines are still shipping with older Fiery controllers, since the driver hasn't been updated? Implying that I am somehow behind the curve and attempting to nurse along some old relic is counterproductive and frankly inaccurate.

The best way to get new OS support on old products is to make sure your OEM is aware of the issue.
Oh, you mean: I contact vendor to get them to press OEM. Vendor contacts Xerox. Xerox points at EFI. EFI shrugs. Vendor learns that Apple is upset with EFI as well. Or is it Xerox? They're not sure. Vendor shrugs. So I've got you pointing at Xerox and a rep that tells me Xerox is pointing at EFI. I've got reams of emails and communications I've sent attempting to find a solution for this problem, but I appreciate the suggestion.