Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fiery controler and MacOSX Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
    Please try to avoid generalizing one specific Fiery controller issue to general EFI behavior. This risks confusing other users.
    I mentioned my machine model, right at the top there.

This is only true with System 8R2 and earlier Fiery controllers. System 9 and later controllers use the universal Packagemaker-based installers and do not require Rosetta. Obviously, with 10.7 coming any day now, we're going to need to do something about the pre-system9 controllers.
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, the problems that were introduced with OS 10.6 (notorious, even in this thread) weren't interesting enough for EFI to address, but the 10.7 problems will be? Well, better late than never I suppose.

Also, what would you suggest: I dump an 18-month old machine simply because my controller just missed your cutoff for being worth it for EFI to update? I'm not surprised by the business model, but a little disappointed. Every single other production machine I maintain - with ages ranging from 6 months to 14 years old - has current, updated drivers. Except my EFI Fiery controller.

With regard to older products like your DC242
    Oh? Older? Why is it still the first model that one sees when looking under Xerox's site under Production Equipment/Production Printers & Copiers? "Featured", no less? I take it these machines are still shipping with older Fiery controllers, since the driver hasn't been updated? Implying that I am somehow behind the curve and attempting to nurse along some old relic is counterproductive and frankly inaccurate.

The best way to get new OS support on old products is to make sure your OEM is aware of the issue.
    Oh, you mean: I contact vendor to get them to press OEM. Vendor contacts Xerox. Xerox points at EFI. EFI shrugs. Vendor learns that Apple is upset with EFI as well. Or is it Xerox? They're not sure. Vendor shrugs. So I've got you pointing at Xerox and a rep that tells me Xerox is pointing at EFI. I've got reams of emails and communications I've sent attempting to find a solution for this problem, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Default Try these drivers

http://www.support.xerox.com/support...gSystem=macosx

The 550/560 is like the next generation of the DC242.

The drivers work fine for me, when printing to my DC242 from OS10.6.

EFI has released a Fiery Express Driver which is a universal driver that can be used with any Fiery. The driver will provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. The Fiery Express Driver is a solution that can be installed on any Macintosh using Mac OS X 10.7 to provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. Macintosh OS X 10.7 users who want to print using Fiery features should print to the Fiery “Held” queue then use Command WorkStation 5.x to edit the Job Properties.

The Fiery Express driver will support the following features for Fiery printing:
    • Duplex
    • Stapling
    • Output Paper Size
    • Color Mode
    • Composite Overprint

Please see the attached Fiery Express Driver Setup Guide for additional information.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

Many thanks for this info ... I will proceed test ASAP

E.T.

Default Canon CLC3220 drivers and software

I have a MacPro Intel twin core running OS 10.5.8 which serves a Canon CLC3220 using a Fiery RIP.

I pay a full service contract with Canon which is supposed to include software support but they provide only mechanical maintenance.

I have CWS Macintosh edition 1.60f10 which does not function correctly and Canon say there is no upgrade.

The Canon Driver is Canon CLC-IR C3220-C1 PS Ver2.1 which works most of the time.

I have Fiery remote scan 5 which currently works a s a stand-alone scanner controller.

What versions of the drivers and software should I have now?

What version should I use if I upgrade to Lion?

Your Canon service organization is correct.

There are no further updates for the imagePASS C1 as it is no longer supported.

If you must update your Mac to Lion OS, you could download the Fiery Express driver as referenced at this post: Fiery Express Diver - However - please be advised that because the imagePASS C1 is no longer supported, we cannot be absolutely certain that you will not experience any difficulties with this driver/Fiery Controller combination.

As for CWS - The imagePASS C1 was based on a much earlier Fiery version (System 5e) than what the current CWS version supports. The CWS version which supported the C1 was the older CWS LE version which may or may not run on your current OSX version.

Many Thanks and Best of Luck,,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by TimWilliams View Post
    I have a MacPro Intel twin core running OS 10.5.8 which serves a Canon CLC3220 using a Fiery RIP.

I pay a full service contract with Canon which is supposed to include software support but they provide only mechanical maintenance.

I have CWS Macintosh edition 1.60f10 which does not function correctly and Canon say there is no upgrade.

The Canon Driver is Canon CLC-IR C3220-C1 PS Ver2.1 which works most of the time.

I have Fiery remote scan 5 which currently works a s a stand-alone scanner controller.

What versions of the drivers and software should I have now?

What version should I use if I upgrade to Lion?

Hello
    at home I am using a CLC3200 with an old C1 (with power switch) and I am using CWS5.3 on Lion

for the office use (my daughters are still on university) I am using standard PS driver

for graphical arts use (I am printing association news letters and somme sundries), I make a propre pdf v4 with acrobat pro and importing that pdf through CWS.
    I change properties once imported
    a little messie but useable for a light working charge

E.T.

Default Are you sure Fiery Express will support duplexing....

Hi Bob,

I have a number of graphic design clients that recently purchased iRC5035's with imagepass B1 Fiery controllers. None of these clients are using Command Workstation and dont want to, since their devices are mainly just for printing off proofs or single sets.
    Recently a number of them have upgraded to Lion and don't have Rosetta, so the 10.6 Fiery driver won't work. I recommended the Fiery Express Driver, except now they don't have a duplex or color mode options available.
    Any suggestions, info on a full Fiery driver or info on the Canon imagePass B1 PS driver for Lion would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
    EFI has released a Fiery Express Driver which is a universal driver that can be used with any Fiery. The driver will provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. The Fiery Express Driver is a solution that can be installed on any Macintosh using Mac OS X 10.7 to provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. Macintosh OS X 10.7 users who want to print using Fiery features should print to the Fiery “Held” queue then use Command WorkStation 5.x to edit the Job Properties.

The Fiery Express driver will support the following features for Fiery printing:
    • Duplex
    • Stapling
    • Output Paper Size
    • Color Mode
    • Composite Overprint

Please see the attached Fiery Express Driver Setup Guide for additional information.

trey138 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor trey138 is on a distinguished path

I'm really in a place now where I need support for Lion, as I'm about to install several new Apple iMacs which will of course ship with Lion. I've noticed that CWS will run under an admin account on lion, but not under a managed account. unfortunately, I can't let the users run with admin privileges.

Is there a solution to this in the works? Switching to Windows is also not an option. Is there a time frame for deployment here?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by idauteuil View Post
    Hi Bob,

I have a number of graphic design clients that recently purchased iRC5035's with imagepass B1 Fiery controllers. None of these clients are using Command Workstation and dont want to, since their devices are mainly just for printing off proofs or single sets.
    On this point, may I suggest that file-print is daily becoming a less and less suitable mechanism for this sort of user. File-print means turning their complex designs to Postscript, and Postscript simply can't carry that load adequately. Development of Postscript ended years ago, and it will never carry that load adequately.

For better or worse, exporting to a modern version of PDF and delivering that directly to the Fiery is the only reliable way to ensure that the design survives in its entirety all the way to the printing system. It's an extra step, but CWS5 makes it easier to deal with due to its drag-and-drop capabilities. Make the PDF and drag it into CWS5, which could be running locally on the workstation, and there you go.

Modern PDF contains everything the InDesign document has. As time goes on, all printing systems will support the Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE)--which essentially replicates the InDesign construction model and entirely eliminates Postscript and its limitations and compromises, allowing the full design to be realized by the RIP.

Your future lies in PDF and CWS5, and file-print will go away.

We now return you to your regular programming.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast