Thread: Canon IR6800C D1 and Snow Leopard

Default Canon IR6800C D1 and Snow Leopard

Hi everyone, hope someone can help.

We have the above printer and run a mixture of Windows and Mac computers. We now have a big issue with the Macs, that we cannot upgrade to Snow Leopard as there is not a printer driver and they cannot use the full settings of the printer

However I understand that if I download the Fiery Driver 2.9/3.0 install that, then run the recently released Fiery updater, all will be well.

My problem is that I cannot find the 2.9/3.0 driver. My understanding is that I need to enter the Fiery printer IP address and using the FieryWeb Tools > Downloader and the driver will be downloaded. However when i try and run the Web Tools, although it opens up, there is an error message in the menu bar on the left,: Application failed to run. When i click on details I get: Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22
    Using JRE version 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
    User home directory = /Users/Alex

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

A

shmegenke is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor shmegenke is on a distinguished path

Unfortunately, it seems the imagepass D1 was discontinued and no longer supported at least a couple of years before Snow Leopard was released. So, there are no Snow Leopard compatible drivers available specific to the D1.

There was no 2.9/3.0 driver to begin with so you'll have to use something newer that did have the 2.9 driver - such as the Intel Mac driver for the C2 (but don't expect all features to work) at this link; http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...cOSX_Print.hqx and then use the EFI Apple Mac OSX 10.6 Fiery Driver Updater at this link; http://services.efi.com/support/driv...osx_106&ver=NA

Or, you could use the existing PPD for the D1 and install the printer using CUPS but the features may not show up in a meaningful order.

As for downloading from webtools, those drivers are also too old to work with Snow Leopard.

Quote Originally Posted by shmegenke View Post
    Or, you could use the existing PPD for the D1 and install the printer using CUPS but the features may not show up in a meaningful order.
    Hi thanks for your post - can you tell me how I would go about installing the exiosting driver using CUPS?

Thanks

shmegenke is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor shmegenke is on a distinguished path

Hi Alexh,

You can't actually install the existing driver using CUPS. All you can do is to install the PPD and let CUPS create the UNIX printer.

For more details on this, you would do best to check out the following from the CUPS website; http://www.cups.org/documentation.ph.../overview.html

If you are not really familiar on the UNIX side of OSX, this solution may not be the best solution in this situation.

If you do go this route, just keep in mind that you would use "print" for the queue name at the Fiery side.

Again, thanks - think that route is probably not the way to go for us !

A