Thread: Fiery Pro C900 Perpetually "Parsing" an Imported Job

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Default Fiery Pro C900 Perpetually "Parsing" an Imported Job

I have a Pro C900 customer with an E40 controller. They are running CWS 5.1 on a dedicated PC running Windows XP Pro.

They report trouble with bringing in jobs using File > Import. The progress bar the bottom of the CWS window never seems to stop going back and forth. I am at the site and was able to replicate this with some (not all) jobs. One job on which this happened is a simple one-page PDF with nothing but text. The file sizes of the files I have been trying here are very small (avg. 100k).

I did a Clear Server on the Fiery, updated CWS to 5.2.0.46, and installed SP3 on WinXP -- to no avail. The issue also manifests itself in CWS 5.2.0.45 on my laptop, which is a MacBook running MacOS 10.5.

If I click on the yellow icon in the Status Bar at the bottom of the CWS window, that brings up a Status sub-window in which the status of the job is reported as "Parsing," and I can click on "Cancel Task" to cancel the file import that is stuck in the Parsing stage.

As a workaround I can tell the customer to go File > Print from Acrobat instead of File > Import in CWS, but can you help me solve the problem?

Edit: One more note... I think all jobs eventually complete parsing and show up in Hold; the problem is, they should show up in 5 seconds, not 5 minutes. I am close to calling for a system software reload, but will wait to hear back from you.

Edit 2: Further diagnostics: I updated the Fiery, and installed CWS 5.2.0.46. I put the customer files on a USB flash drive and copied them to the Windows desktop on the Fiery controller. I dragged and dropped the jobs to CWS 5.2 on the Fiery desktop. Same thing happened (a couple of jobs showed up in Hold right away, the other two were "parsing" forever). I have called service for a system software reload.

Thanks,

Steve Weiss
    Solutions Engineer
    Ricoh Production Printing
    Last edited by Steve0; 12-22-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: New info

trey138 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor trey138 is on a distinguished path

I've seen this exact same problem with two different Fierys, one a pro 80 on a Konica Minolta c6500 and the other a Imagepass U1 on a Canon 8095. I can confirm that the same files will crash either Fiery. When this happens, I've never waited to see if it would finish parsing after a time, as it stops the server from doing anything else while it's going.

How is your client creating the PDFs? It's nearly guaranteed that a PDF created using OS X's built-in PDF converter will crash the Fierys. My workaround has been to write a batch processing action in Acrobat that, a.) flattens all transparency; b.) converts all text to outlines; c.) discards EVERYTHING not needed for printing. It then sends the file to a hot folder for printing.

I'd rather find a way for the Fiery to be able to handle these files...

Gah! I have to go, as they're about lock this place up. But I want to get back to this. Find attached the .sequ file that I've been using. You will, of course, have to modify the location of where it's sending the file.

Happy New Year!
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
    I have a Pro C900 customer with an E40 controller.
    Quick question: C900 with E-80 or C901 with E-41?

trey138 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor trey138 is on a distinguished path

Ok getting back to this...

I've worked with several of my local field technicians on this problem, and all of them have ben stumped by it. Hence my Acrobat workaround. But this isn't a good long-term solution for me, as I'd rather train my staff to either drop the PDFs straight into CWS or into a FTP location/hot folder. I'd like to have as little intervention between them and getting a PDF into the Fierys as possible (i.e. stepping away from File>Print as much as possible).

I did forget to mention the other day that we have a third printer with a Fiery, it's a Canon 5085 with an Imagepass H1. It will choke on the same files as the other two. This leads me to believe that it's not necessarily a problem with any individual Fiery, but with the way Fiery Server itself is interpreting the files.

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

trey138, thanks for the detailed and wide-ranging information, and especially for the attachment, which I will test on the customer files in question. Having the customer go File > Print in their application, rather than File > Import in CWS, will tide them over for now, but they have a dedicated CWS operator who pulls files from a network share into CWS, so I can't consider this a dead issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
    Quick question: C900 with E-80 or C901 with E-41?
    C900 with E-40
    Last edited by Steve0; 01-03-2011 at 03:06 PM.

No sweat Steve. It occurs to me now, though, that you won't be able to use this preset as it is, as it relies on several presets that I've put together in Acrobat. I'm working out how to get the files to you and to tell you where to put them.

If you're pretty familiar with how Acrobat works, it might be easier to tell you how to set the thing up from scratch. I'll post again in a couple of hours when I have it all sussed out.

I'm pretty good with Acrobat. Looking forward to your info.

OK, I've gone through this with a friend, and for some reason, even though I've provided the files and locations, he's unable to get this to work. I think I need to write this out for clarity's sake.

In the meantime though, find attached the package that I put together this morning and worked on with my friend. Maybe you can get it to work. At the very least, you can open the files in textedit and see what the settings are.

I'll get the steps to get this done from scratch written out when I have a few minutes.
    Attached Files

Got it - I can manage it based on your instructions. Thanks for going to all the trouble, Trey - I really appreciate the effort!

Steve