Thread: Gang up/Repeat with Bleed not working for me.

Default Gang up/Repeat with Bleed not working for me.

Maybe I am just not doing it right, but I have been beating my head against the wall for about 2 weeks now.

I am using impose to create a 10-up business card template. The cards are going to be cut 3.5x2, but they are actually 3.7x2.2 canvases.

Even with the bleed and gutter set correctly, the cards at the top and bottom are smaller than the cards on the second, third and forth row.

I have scale set to none, so perhaps I need to work with that to ensure the cards are all the same size? Impose seems to have an issue with the cards larger than the cut (Gutter and bleed) area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Printfun is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Printfun is on a distinguished path

If your files are truly 3.7x2.2, do you have the bleed in Impose set to .2? The gutter size should be inconsequential as long as it doesn't push your image off the sheet or outside the imageable area.

Let me test that... maybe by using Bleed and Gutter I am shooting myself ... I'll test and report back!

Didn't work.

Here is the issue I have. I can sent a 10-up, but no where in my impose can I set the actual size of the imposed print.

So what I mean is that if I set this to repeat gang-up without a gutter and a 0.2" bleed, it does that .... however, it does not realize that I want 3.5x2 cards at the end of the day... so it makes the top card 2.2 high, and all the middle cards are not as tall.

This is with a 3.7x2.2 source file, no gutter, and 0.2 bleed all the way around.

Here is a screen-cap, you can see what I mean. Look at how the top row of cards are taller then the following rows.
    Attached Images  

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

Your results look correct to me. You need to look at the distance between the trim marks and not the data that's being shown.

The entire point of bleeds is that you have excess data beyond the trim marks. The excess data is printed and then trimmed off afterwards. This excess data is what's confusing you.

Also, with a 3.7"x2.2" canvas size, you actually want to use .1" bleeds since you want to trim off .1" from all sides to get your final business card size.

I understand bleeds well.

What the issue is, is that Impose will not actually bleed the cards!

So if I have a 10-up of 3.7x2.2, and I ask for a 0.125 bleed in between, since the cards would actually overlap I guess it's not sure how to handle it.

For now, I am using automation in Photoshop for my 10-up, and it's working perfectly... even the guy at Xerox was not able to 10-up my cards on this version of Impose... so who knows what's wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomphoto View Post
    I understand bleeds well.

So if I have a 10-up of 3.7x2.2, and I ask for a 0.125 bleed in between, since the cards would actually overlap I guess it's not sure how to handle it.

For now, I am using automation in Photoshop for my 10-up, and it's working perfectly... even the guy at Xerox was not able to 10-up my cards on this version of Impose... so who knows what's wrong!
    I'm not sure what step you're missing, but Impose will absolutely bleed the cards. If you cards are coming through at 3.7x2.2, the bleed should be set at .1"

Then, you have to set a gutter to properly setup the cards for trimming purposes. Your gutter should then be set to .2" based on your numbers.

I run business cards everyday through impose this way and have zero issues.
    Currently using CWS 5.3.1.32 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Running 3 Ricoh machines:
    Pro C900 - ProC900 v4.0 System 8 Release 2 (PLP Installed)
    Pro 1107ex - EB-1357ex v1.1 System 8 Release 2
    Aficio 3260 - E7000 v1.2 System 6e.

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The screenshot you posted above quite clearly shows that the cards are bleeding correctly. There's no gutter, but that would be expected since you set the gutter to 0. The bleed is only appearing on the outside edges of the cards. Pay attention to the trim marks that show up in the imposition.

You seem to be confused by the way Fiery deals with bleeds. Unlike programs like Illustrator and Indesign which add the bleeds to the outside of the trim area, Fiery only sees the paper size of the document. This means that Fiery bleeds actually cut into the data. you have to do the math where "canvas size" minus "twice bleed size" equals "trim size". Impose then uses the new, smaller, trim size when imposing the file.

You'll notice in your screenshot that there's no overlapping between the cards even though you've entered .2" for bleed. Impose has already accounted for the smaller size and created your imposition accordingly. You selected 0" gutters, resulting in no space between your cards. Since you used the wrong math, you have 3.3"x1.8" business cards with .2" bleeds all around the outside and 0" gutters.

You're still confused by the math. Your data is 3.7"x2.2". You want a final size of 3.5"x2". This means that your bleeds are .1".

The gutter value you select is completely up to you and your trimmer. If it's .2" like Mark suggests, your imposition will show all your data and nothing more. If you select .25" gutters, you'll see a .05" white gap between each card.