Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you like a Fiery Clone Tool for embedded Fiery Controllers?

Hybrid View

Default Would you like a Fiery Clone Tool for embedded Fiery Controllers?

*please note, this post is duplicated in the general fiery forum category*

Hi,

I work in the Fiery Planning Group, and Fiery Clone Tool is one of my projects.
    I have received numerous feature requests to make a version of Fiery Clone Tool for embedded Fiery systems. And I want to make the right tool, to suit the right audience.
    I can see this forum is frequented by not only end users, but also support staff (OEM or dealer analysts, technicians, etc).

With that in mind, my questions to the forum community are:
    1. Would it be helpful to have a Fiery Clone Tool for embedded Fiery controllers? Which particular controllers?
    2. If so, do you anticipate end users using this tool, or just Fiery support staff (OEM or dealer analysts, technicians, etc)?
    3. If you are an end user, do you see a need to use Fiery Clone Tool for your embedded Fiery, and if so, why?
    4. Do you need Mac support for driving the Fiery Clone Tool, as well as PC?

I anticipate this may be a delicate topic for some, so if you have some feedback regarding support contracts etc, please message me privately.
    But if you are an end user with an opinion on this, you can message me or post a reply to this post.

Please note: As we are in the planning stages for this tool, we are just gathering feedback, and cannot guarantee when it will be available.

I appreciate your feedback as always!
    Kind regards,

Greta.

Hello

1 . We will be very happy to be able to make a clone of the following embedded controller.
    Canon H1
    Canon J1
    Canon A1
    Canon B1
    Canon T1

2 . that tool will be only for technicians

3 . n/d

4 . MACintosh support will be very great to avoid to play with bootcamp and VMWare

thanks by advance

E.T.
    O2i France

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Greta,

I think what would be really good would be the ability to back up onto a USB drive - then if the system ever needs reloading - turn the system off stick in the pen drive & switch back on & it automatically clones the system back from the pen drive....

Cheers

Kev

el_tren2003 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor el_tren2003 is on a distinguished path

Hi E.T.

And about the old Canon imagePASS-S2 ?

I agree with you Thistlegorm!

Regards

el_tren2003
    Last edited by el_tren2003; 08-23-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Speaking for myself and not my employer (Ricoh), any System 6 and newer Fiery would be a candidate. The older models have accumulated the most patches (30 in one case) and would benefit most from cloning.

The tool can be primarily for support personnel but if it could create bootable flash drives for end-user installation as suggested above that would be great.

I don't think Mac support is necessary.

k_graham is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor k_graham is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by Greta_C View Post
    *please note, this post is duplicated in the general fiery forum category*

I have received numerous feature requests to make a version of Fiery Clone Tool for embedded Fiery systems. And I want to make the right tool, to suit the right audience.
    I can see this forum is frequented by not only end users, but also support staff (OEM or dealer analysts, technicians, etc).

With that in mind, my questions to the forum community are:
    1. Would it be helpful to have a Fiery Clone Tool for embedded Fiery controllers? Which particular controllers?
    2. If so, do you anticipate end users using this tool, or just Fiery support staff (OEM or dealer analysts, technicians, etc)?
    3. If you are an end user, do you see a need to use Fiery Clone Tool for your embedded Fiery, and if so, why?

Greta.
    Lets face it Greta, having a Clone tool means Fiery can duplicate an exact working unit from your office to the field saving countless man hours and aggravation.

I had it happen on an Ikon CPP500 where it was sent without the patch required to make it a 500. Meaning it was still a 8050 software wise thinking it was using the previous toners. This took them over a month to correct and they never did tell me a upgraded printer driver was required on the computer end. This cost Ikon a client, Konica Minolta the possibility of me as a client - I was in the market for 2 but Konica Minolta said they could not support the Ikon machine and I wasn't going to risk a 2nd time, me $50,000.00 and should have cost EFI one as well, but I continued with EFI I know which is capable of good color when manufacturer knows their stuff instead of other RIP I did not.

Next our External RIP Doc 240 - sent with defective EFI CD's that seemed to work, but would loose the color calibration capability - took Xerox months to fix, replaced drive - loaded bad software - finally sent loaded drive and new disks. But Xerox corrected situation before I asking a dime in payment bless their hearts, and for it they sold me two Doc 240's with EXP250 RIPs. Which brings up another point - Add Checksum Verification routine to your CD's / DVD's so they will all be right - or wrong - if wrong you will also have the problem so it will be verifiable - another countless number of tech hours saved.

External EXP 250 Fiery Rip had hard drive failure 3 months ago - I saved Xerox tech many hours by re-installing all patches in place and in correct order with Clonezilla.org free download - and custom preferences of mine were saved as well saving more time.

Doc12 With external XP12 RIP lost ability to accept password 6 months ago - no problem, insert CD / DVD not supported - restored back across network, patches in place. I never even bothered to call Xerox- for some reason USB ports likely were not allowed in Fiery BIOS as USB could not work for backup, even under Linux Clonezilla - yes I know NT did not support USB but the USB ports were there on the Hardware.

In fact a user could use Clonezilla.org software now on an internal RIP but they would have to remove and attach the hard disk to a external computer unless they could attach a CD to internal RIP, they should be able to use Network connection thats there. Of course the trick is to keep a couple backups so you always have a before and after patch.

As it is a clone it is not going to be useful to anyone else other than a authentic Fiery owner so it seems the logical thing to do. Maybe with those countless hours saved someone can make a Windows 7 32 and 64 bit driver for the Doc12 so you can be like all the other good printer manufacturers out there, if only with the basic Adobe instruction set that puts everything in a big long list, but works. Probably take a day but would keep people from remembering how Fiery orphans their machines - I'm going to be asking the same of the other printer RIP manufacturers with my next purchase.

Ken
    Last edited by k_graham; 09-05-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    Ken Graham
    Docucolor 240, 250, 12, 12 external RIPs EXP250
    Canon IR7200, 105 with M1, M2 external RIPs
    and 1 broken down Ikon CPP500 internal RIP
    Community Printers.com

Sent from Linux computer -- see http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Hey Greta how you doing?

As someone mentioned saving a cloned image to a 16GB or 32GB USB stick would be the way to go.

It would be good if you could save a complete image of the whole windows and fiery system settings including.

All fiery Configuration data.
    All patches.
    All color profiles.
    All windows Network paths and shared folders.
    All programs like Adobe

ie. Setup everything at installation and then backup the complete image, if the system falls over the customer just needs to put in the USB stick and switch on the controller. (thinking like IC408)

When installation is complete everything is exactly the way it was from day 1 with minimal work and time involved.

Anyway hows SF treating you?

Default Tool Feedback

Hello Greta

Here is some feedback from my team

"1. Would it be helpful to have a Fiery Clone Tool for embedded Fiery controllers? Which particular controllers?"

In our lab environment, we find that it is specifically the Bustled / Embedded Fiery Controllers that we have most issue with
    DC250 1.2, DC260 V2.0, DP700 1.5, EFI 7345, EFI 7435, Bustled 560, EFI 7700.. etc.
    If it has an embedded Fiery controller, we want to be able to close it as it is Linux based.
    We can easily work with a Windows based rip.

We would be happy with being able to use this tool in a remote session, Xerox reps and analysts only having access.

I donít feel that it should be a customer tool, although for some of our more advanced users, they may appreciate it.

4. Do you need Mac support for driving the Fiery Clone Tool, as well as PC?

Yes as we do have a percentage of customers that are Mac only.

Do you have a Timeframe when a Tool like this would be available?

Default Yes!!!

A usb Clone tool would be great.

Also, Allow more options on where to save the clone image. SMB would be nice.

I support the C900, C901 and C720 at the PPSC.

Thank you,

Ricky

Default Would you like a Fiery Clone Tool for embedded Fiery Controllers?

A Clone tool for an embedded Fiery would be great.
    I have used a tool that EFI has given me to create a USB loader. I can now install my 250, 260. 700, 7435 and more in 15 minutes using this method. I have used this ability to bring a customer from totally down state to a fresh load and useable. Its great. Thank you for that.

However it leaves my machines at a bare bones unpatched level which then presents me with the hours and hours needed to manually patch my Fiery's as auto updates do not work reliably.

If we could have a method to clone a fully patched (stable patch level) that is ideal.

Also a patch removal tool would be fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast