Thread: Help! Stolen computers = stolen dongles

Default Help! Stolen computers = stolen dongles

Hello All - but mostly EFI reps.

On Monday night we had a break-in, and all of our computers (Macs) were stolen. This included our print room computers which had our EFI dongles in them.

What can I do?!! We are missing EFI Impose and Splash RPX-ii. Any help will be appreciated - we have serials and boxes etc.

BZ

Printfun is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Printfun is on a distinguished path

Wow, that is a really tough break. A company I worked for some years ago also had a Splash stolen from them. The people who steal them don't realize how much they cost, and they don't have the same value to them because there's a 99.9% chance that they are not going to use it to RIP files with. Just dump it off cheap for a quick buck.

I believe the company's insurance ended up paying for it. I am not sure how the Impose dongle thing works with EFI though.

Good luck to you, I know how disruptive this can be to a company.

That is sad news. No doubt much time and effort will be spent getting new Macs configured.
    Regarding the dongles, unfortunately, you will need to purchase new replacement kits in order to get the dongles.
    Did you have any insurance to cover this loss?

We have insurance, but to pay Xerox full retain on Splash is a joke - Im not even sure what RPX-ii costs or if it is available, but the last number I saw was $13K - for a dongle!

If anyone else knows of some replacement program at lower cost, please do reply.

Thanks

BZ

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ED1_Press
    We have insurance, but to pay Xerox full retain on Splash is a joke - Im not even sure what RPX-ii costs or if it is available, but the last number I saw was $13K - for a dongle!

If anyone else knows of some replacement program at lower cost, please do reply.

Thanks

BZ
    You bought software, but it was manifested by the dongle as a physical thing. That's the whole purpose of the dongle--to make the software into something physical and tangible that can't be duplicated, and to make the security of the software into something physical that must be protected and insured in the same way that a car or computer is protected and insured.

Apple won't give you a new computer, nor will they RIP your files for you. If your car is stolen, the dealer won't give you a new car, nor will he drive you around to work and the store and whatnot. It's not their fault that the computer was stolen, that the car was stolen. Nor is it the fault of the manufacturer or vendor that your Splash RIP was stolen.

But stolen it was, just like it was a car. That's the entire purpose of the dongle.

Your insurance will cover replacing the Splash, the same way it will cover replacing the computer it ran on.