Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot Folders as a background service??

Default Hot Folders as a background service??

I was wondering if anyone at EFI had given thought to making the Hot Folders program run as a service in the background? Here's the reason I ask why...

I've setup Hot Folders to run off my C900 Fiery. I don't use the Fiery as a workstation or terminal, so I only access it through "Remote Desktop". In order to keep Hot Folders running, I have to keep the remote session active by disconnecting. If Hot Folders were a service, it would still run whether logged in or off. Just a thought!
    Currently using CWS 5.3.1.32 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Running 3 Ricoh machines:
    Pro C900 - ProC900 v4.0 System 8 Release 2 (PLP Installed)
    Pro 1107ex - EB-1357ex v1.1 System 8 Release 2
    Aficio 3260 - E7000 v1.2 System 6e.

Default Just an idea

Have you thought about using AppToService or a similar tool?
    I haven't tried it with Hot Folders, but it might solve your problem.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Mardyck,

Your post does not make a lot of sense? how do you have your workflow setup - can you describe exactly what you have done & what you are trying to achieve?

There are products out there that do run as a background service Enfocus Ptistop Server 9 to name one - but I would council against buying / loading a 3rd party piece of software ( namely if it all goes pear shaped your supplier would be well within their rights to charge you for "making good").

If you can describe exactly how you have setup your current workflow & what you would like to achieve - you might find there is "another" way..

How about just locking the computer from the Remote Desktop session?

While logged in with Remote Desktop choose Windows Start button, Windows Security and then Lock Computer. This way all of the applications including Hot folders would stay running and you can close the Remote Desktop session.

Thanks Bruce_W, but it still doesn't solve my the overall problem of how I'd like it to work. Even with that method, if I have to reboot my Fiery for any reason, I have then open up another Remote Session to reactivate the Hot Folders.

If they were designed to run as a service, then it wouldn't matter, as on a reboot, they could be set to start automatically and it would be seamless, no user interaction required to keep the workflow in place.

I know what I have right now works, and I'm ok with it. I'm really just making a suggestion that I think would be worthwhile to look at implementing. I think it's in the best interest of product improvement to look at things like this.
    Currently using CWS 5.3.1.32 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Running 3 Ricoh machines:
    Pro C900 - ProC900 v4.0 System 8 Release 2 (PLP Installed)
    Pro 1107ex - EB-1357ex v1.1 System 8 Release 2
    Aficio 3260 - E7000 v1.2 System 6e.

Mark, you can also install the Hot Folders application on your client and create your hot folders locally for your file submission. I wasn't sure if this was option for you since you mentioned you currently have Hot Folders created and shared out on your Fiery server.

Default Thanks for the suggestion

Markdyck,

Thanks for your suggestion, I've added it to the feature list for consideration for the next Hot Folder version in development. We are listening.

Default How to run Fiery Hot Folders as a Service

I manage to make Fiery Hot Folders running as a service by Using ServiceRunner,

Thereare 3 steps to successfully running the Fiery Hot Folders as a Service.
    1) Downloadthe ServiceRunner software and place into the Program Files folder required tobe run as a service
    2) Configurethe ServiceRunner software and create the service
    3) Configurethe batch file to start/stop the service and run the GUI accordingly for creating the necessary Hot Folders

Please find attach PDF and follow instructions accordingly.
    Attached Images

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi All,

At the risk of coming across like a complete spanner - is this issue vendor specific ? I tell you for why - ( Apologies Mardyck - almost a year down track ) - your initial post I didn't get my head around:
    I've setup Hot Folders to run off my C900 Fiery. I don't use the Fiery as a workstation or terminal, so I only access it through "Remote Desktop". In order to keep Hot Folders running, I have to keep the remote session active by disconnecting. If Hot Folders were a service, it would still run whether logged in or off
    On my EX700 I have remoted in & on the Erive created three folders A,B,C - then I have opened up hotfolders ( Ver 2) & created Hotfolders with these folders, then shared them out. I then minimize my Remote session & map 3 drives to these shares on my client & drag & drop files onto these mapped drives, I monitor this with CWS5 - I then log out of my remote session & repeat the former, again all files go across as I would expect. If I reboot my Fiery as I would expect the SMB connections to my mapped drives are disconnected - that can be fixed with a bat file in the startup folder - so they remap - but I don't need to open / start Hotfolders.exe in order for them to work ? so I am not sure I understand what the issue is here, unless something different happens with alternate vendors versions ?

Braamvwyk: excellent write up - had not heard of that little bit of software before - very likely will be useful, although for the reasons above I wonder whether you have fixed something that isn't broken ?

If I have missed a point here ? can anyone explain it too me like I'm a 4 year old.....
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm View Post
    Erive
    Off topic but I love this. I now know to specify drives as "E: Drive" on here too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast