Thread: Command Line & CUPS

Default Command Line & CUPS

After losing hair over JDF, I've decided to start using CUPS instead for printing from our MIS. A few questions;

Is it possible to set Paper Catalog entries (EFPCMID?) via lp?

And I seem to have a problem with the data I'm sending, for example PageSize=CustomSize.WIDTHxHEIGHTmm is accepted and shows up in the list, but it doesn't populate in Job Properties when I open the job in CWS.

And EFImageFlag=True works, but can't get EFImageFrontY, EFImageFrontX, EFImageBackY, EFImageBackX working. Tried with mm and points, nothing.

Would be helpful to know if I'm losing hair (again) in vain or if this is something that can be fixed/hacked.

You didn't mention which Fiery or which MIS system you are using, but I think following the JDF route would be more productive. First, I would make sure I am confirming to the Integrated Digital Printing Interoperability Conformance Specification. This is a subset of the JDF specification that defines the process for producing digital printing jobs that are appropriate for Fiery controller-driven systems. You can find more about it and other Fiery JDF related items on the Fiery JDF Blog at http://jdf.fiery.com

Fantastic! I didn't know about this blog...

Our setup is a pair of KonicaMinolta bizhub 6500s and Fiery System 8 release 2 (one on 2.0 and the other 2.1). I've coded the MIS myself.

I've been in touch with Mark Ford of EFI regarding the JDF issues, so I was mainly wondering about the possible errors with CUPS/LP.

(As a sidenote: I *really* want to use JDF because it was an absolute nightmare learning it. The reason for using CUPS is because our workflow is too custom to use virtual printers which is the only possibility for our machine/controller-combo at the moment.)