+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Processes Hang and White Box

Exclamation Processes Hang and White Box

I just installed VUE, and now Word and Excel never close properly. Instead, processes WINWORD.EXE and EXCEL.EXE remain in memory.

Moreover, while those processes remain, there's a white box at the top left of my screen, about the height of a title bar and panoramic in proportion.

Scott,

We haven't seen this yet so I want to setup a system here to mimic yours, can you let me know
    1. What version of Windows and Office you are using?
    2. Are you running Outlook at well?
    3. Are you able to relaunch Word and Excel and use them?

Thanks,
    David

• I run Windows Vista Business SP2 and Office 2007 SP2 (Pro Plus).
    • Yes, I'm also running the included Outlook 2007 SP2, but this issue seems to disappear when those other two processes are killed.
    • Yes, I can still run Word and Excel fine, phantoms or no, but their processes always hang now, so that I may have multiple phantom WINWORD.EXE processes taking up lots of memory and need to kill them manually.

Thanks for the info. Were looking into it.

Hi Scott,
    I am trying to replicate the phantom instances of Word and Excel on a Vista Business client with Office 2007 Pro Plus. Here are the steps I have followed.
    Setup: Vista Business SP2, Office 2007 Pro SP2, and Outlook 2007 is running. VUE is connected to a Fiery controller.
    1. Launch Word, open a .doc file locally on client.
    2. Go to Fiery tab and click Open in VUE.
    3. After document opens in Fiery VUE, go to File Menu and select New.
    4. In New Fiery VUE session, add a different .doc file.
    5. Exit Word by clicking "X" on upper right corner of Word UI.
    6. Windows Task Manager confirms Word exits.

I repeated these steps with Excel and Windows Task Manager confirms Excel exits as expected. Let me know how your steps differ, and if you can answer these questions this will help me focus my testing.

Does your account have administrator rights?
    Do you have any other plug-ins for Office, i.e. Acrobat?
    Are you opening files over the network?
    Are you running Fiery VUE in Demo mode? Printer connection is displayed in the lower left corner of the Fiery VUE UI.
    Did you experience any errors during installation?
    How are you exiting office applications, i.e. from the Windows button or by clicking "X"?
    Matt Mikkelsen-Pope

I can simply open Word or Excel and close it to cause my issue -- of course working with a document, w/ or w/o VUE, does the same.

I'm an admin locally and on our local domain network thing.

I have the following active add-ins and had no trouble before: Our Fiery is an authenticated Bizhub 6500 (came up red in setup). I had no errors in setup.

I can exit Word or Excel either way and have it still do this.

Default Checking Office Templates

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the detailed feedback, I will do more investigation to get the Office plug-ins you listed. In the meantime I searched the internet for known issues with winword.exe process hanging and I found some useful hints. It is possible the Normal.dotm file maybe the source of the problem. Before deleting this file you should know the Normal.dotm file contains any customizations you may have made to starting blank documents in Word. You can move this file to your desktop and if this does not fix your issue then restore the file. Otherwise Word will generate a new Normal.dotm file. Here are the recommended steps.

1. Exit all instances of Microsoft Office applications.
    2. Paste this path into a UNC bar to navigate to the file's directory.
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates
    3. move Normal.dotm to your desktop
    4. I suggest log-off and log-on at this step to refresh Word's resources.
    5. You are ready to launch Word and see if all instances exit without hanging.

There maybe a startup file that is causing problems with Excel. I recommend checking this directory and moving files to the Desktop to try launching again. Paste this path into a UNC field to navigate to the directory.
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
    Matt Mikkelsen-Pope

I did try this as you suggested -- made sure Office was closed, moved all my Normal*.dotm from Templates, and restarted my computer -- but the issue persists, moreover no Normal*.dotm files have been recreated, not that I seem to need them.

Please note this affects Excel equally, and I had no startup options for either before VUE, nor do I now. Thanks for your help so far though.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feeback about the test results with removing the normal.dotm file. Word will generate the normal.dotm file again when exiting Word. You have noted this also occurs with Excel, is PowerPoint affected?
    Matt Mikkelsen-Pope

I still see no normal*.dotm files, maybe 'cause I have to kill WINWORD.EXE after "exiting."

PowerPoint seems unaffected actually.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast