Thread: Impose not working server rebuild

Default Impose not working server rebuild

Our EXP250 server crashed and I had to rebuild from scratch. The rebuild went as expected and everything seems to be working as before except for impose. I tried a simple business card (4 up on 5.5 x 8.5 from single 3.5 x 2 PDF). Impose works as before and the imposition displays 4 up in the program but the output is just a single card in the middle of the sheet with no marks. I am sure that it is something stupid that I am didn't set during the rebuild but for the life of me I can't figure what it would be. Can anyone help?

Question System updates?

Vincent,

Did you make sure after you rebuilt your server from scratch, that you installed all the available patches on your Fiery? If you have not done this, be sure to. After you have done so, reboot your Fiery, and try your test again.

Gary

Default Yeppers. All update were installed.

Yes, All of the updates were installed (107 of them). The server has been re-booted about eleven dozen times. I have reinstalled Acrobat and Pitstop and I have updated to the latest version of Command Workstation/impose. I have re-booted after every step and still no joy.

Default One of the updates broke Impose

It turns out that one of the updates broke impose. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I built the server again. When the build finished but before applying updates I tried impose. Voila, it worked perfectly. I installed the updates and uh-oh, impose was back to placing a single doc in the middle of the page. Anyone have an idea which update is the culprit? I could apply updates one at a time until it malfunctions again but there doesn't appear to be a way to undo an update and I am really getting tired of rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by vincent2313
    It turns out that one of the updates broke impose. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I built the server again. When the build finished but before applying updates I tried impose. Voila, it worked perfectly. I installed the updates and uh-oh, impose was back to placing a single doc in the middle of the page. Anyone have an idea which update is the culprit? I could apply updates one at a time until it malfunctions again but there doesn't appear to be a way to undo an update and I am really getting tired of rebuilding.
    Apparantly there is software that is being Beta tested by level 2 Xerox analysts (created by EFI) that is extremely similar to Norton Ghost... Basically you run the tool after finishing your build, and if it ever goes downa nd you need to rebuild, you simply pop the disk in that contains the back-up, and it rebuilds it for you to the exact settings you had before.

When I heard about this I nearly wet myself. Hopefully we will be given more information about this soon. I know I for one would love to get my hands on it, it sounds like you could do with it too!
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Default Impose not working server rebuild

Hi Vincent,
    Can you check your configuration report to see if you have installed patch 1-NO5DW? If this has not been installed, this patch is the solution to the problem that you are seeing. You can download it from the Xerox website here:
    http://www.support.xerox.com/go/resu...ID=XRIP_EXP250

Regards,
    Chad

k_graham is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor k_graham is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Elliott
    Apparantly there is software that is being Beta tested by level 2 Xerox analysts (created by EFI) that is extremely similar to Norton Ghost... Basically you run the tool after finishing your build, and if it ever goes downa nd you need to rebuild, you simply pop the disk in that contains the back-up, and it rebuilds it for you to the exact settings you had before.

When I heard about this I nearly wet myself. Hopefully we will be given more information about this soon. I know I for one would love to get my hands on it, it sounds like you could do with it too!
    I've successfully restored my Fiery EXP250 using Clonezilla Live, this free Linux CD software is available at www.clonezilla.org - it will also back up your other Windows Workstations.

I use it by backing up to a USB drive, it compresses backup as well and I suggest keeping a before and after successful backup. For USB drive I recommend the type that allows you to drop a 3.5" sata disk in, then you can buy a quality terabyte drive with a 5 year warranty and backup every RIP and workstation. You may also use it for External Sata Backups by adding a external Sata port but must turn off workstations for that.
    Ken Graham
    Docucolor 240, 250, 12, 12 external RIPs EXP250
    Canon IR7200, 105 with M1, M2 external RIPs
    and 1 broken down Ikon CPP500 internal RIP
    Community Printers.com

Sent from Linux computer -- see http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Thanks for the info Chad. In order to actually produce some jobs I have been operating the machine without updates. The impose appeared to be working fine but after imposing a couple of jobs I discovered that in some cases, parts of the stepped images were dropping off. I went to the Xerox site and the patch you mentioned looked like it might address this issue and I reluctantly installed it. Fortunately it fixed the problem and didn't break anything. After reading your post I looked at all of my back configuration printouts and that patch had never been installed. I pulled up the EFI system updater to see if 1-N05DW was in the list of updates to install and it is not listed. Very interesting. I will be out of the office for a few days and they will need the machine. I will let EFI system updater install the remaining 109 updates and see how it goes. I will post the results in case anyone is interested.