+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 computers, one printer, 3 different outputs

Default 3 computers, one printer, 3 different outputs

I'm currently using a Konica Minolta Bizhub pro C500 with Fiery S300 50c-k. I'm using 3 separate computers to output the same file and I'm getting different results from each computer. One prints with a heavy magenta, one's print density is too high and also is high in magenta, and the last prints absolutely perfectly. These are 3 completely different systems altogether, the first is a mac osx 10.4, the second a windows vista machine, and the third an XP machine. I've tried mimicking all the settings from the colorwise portion of the print dialogue of the XP machine on the other 2 and I see no noticeable difference in the prints. Is it what the color profiles are in the individual machines which is causing the difference? how do I change these profiles to match the one from the XP machine if that's the problem? oh, and btw if anyone suggests I just print from the XP machine from now on.. I can't, it's not a designated deign/print computer and cannot be used as such. Any help and guidance is appreciated.

SharonH is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor SharonH is on a distinguished path

Hello,
    You don't mention what file format you are trying to print, or from which applications you are printing.

So I have some suggestions.
    1. Set up a virtual printer on the Fiery and select the desired ColorWise settings and choose to print from each system to the same virtual printer, without changing any of your default virtual printer settings.

2. Install Command WorkStation on each of your systems and import the file into the CWS to the print queue. This will again mean that all imports are picking up the same settings.

3. Check the settings of the application you are printing from. For example, if you are printing from PhotoShop identify what the default working spaces are for the job - are these the same accross the applications. Identify whether you are embedding profiles into the job when you print it - are these the same accross the applications?

If you continue to have issues perhaps you can identify the application from which you are printing, is this the same version accross the different platforms? What is the color space of the document? Are you embedding profiles?

You can use the Post Flight report to see how the file is made up, ie. which elements are CMYK, RGB etc.
    You can also use the control bar feature to identify if indeed you have the same settings for many of the color features, such as the source profile, destination profile etc.

Sharon
    Sharon Henley
    Product Manager
    Fiery Color & Imaging, Fiery Color Profiler Suite

Default thanks

Sharon,
    Thank you for your prompt reply. As I'm not in front of these machines right now I can't tell you everything about them, but what I can tell you is that the file is a customer provided PDF which is in CMYK with one PMS color. I'm outputting the file from Adobe Acrobat 8 professional on each machine. I'm uncertain about any embedded color profiles. If you have any other suggestions in light of these additional facts then I'd be appreciative. Tomorrow I will try to use your suggestions and if I have any more details I'll let you know. Thanks again

Marty

SharonH is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor SharonH is on a distinguished path

Hi Marty,
    So this narrows it down. Remember, when you print from a driver you are converting a PDF to PostScript to send to the Fiery, so my conclusion is there must be something different in Acrobat when the file is being converted from PDF to PS.

(I am curious why you would have a single PDF being printed from 3 systems but that's not here nor there.)

Basically I'd then suggest the following things.

1. Again, install CWS onto each of the systems and simply import the PDF to the same queue, such as the print queue for the same results. (Importing will ensure you don't get different PDF-PS conversions)

Or

2. Create a Hot Folder on each of the machines pointing to the same settings. Drop the PDF into the HotFolder. This will ensure that you get the same Fiery conversion from PDF to PS.

Sharon
    Sharon Henley
    Product Manager
    Fiery Color & Imaging, Fiery Color Profiler Suite

Default thanks again

Sharon,
    I'll try your suggestions first thing tomorrow. I was kind of suspecting that the PDF to PS conversion was the culprit in the different outputs and it seems that the direct import into CWS will solve this problem. I do have CWS on 2 of the machines, but I'm not sure about the third and that's the one that gave the best print. To answer your question "why 3 machines?" ...after trying to get the file to print correctly with multiple colorwise settings, my co-worker simply wondered if it would print differently from a different computer, and it did, so he checked another one, and that one was spot on. Now the challenge is to get all 3 machines working consistently. It's late here and I need to sleep. I'll get back to you in the morning.

Marty

Default Working now

Sharon,
    Your advice to make sure all settings were the same across all the applications is what helped. Once all 3 machines were operating with the exact same setup in Acrobat, the prints all remained consistent. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Marty

+ Reply to Thread