Thread: "page order forward/reverse" and "face up/down" - missing one combination in Xerox 70

Rolf is offline Fiery Forum Contributor Rolf is on a distinguished path

Default "page order forward/reverse" and "face up/down" - missing one combination in Xerox 70

In our german CWS it is called "Seitenfolge vorwärts/rückwärts" (I call it here page order forward/reverse) and "Druckbild oben/unten" (I call it here "face up/down") - both settings to find under "finishing".

We can only set 3 of 4 combinations:
    page order forward - face down
    page order reverse - face up
    page order reverse - face down

The last possible combination is not allowed to set:
    page order forward - face up

But this is still a needed combination. Is there a bug why we can't choose this setting?
    Printer:
    Xerox 700DCP (Systemsoftware 1.201.3) with EX700 (System 8 R 2, V 1.0SP1), ES-1000 (with UV filter), GA-Package Prem. Ed.
    Clients:
    Mac OS X, Win 7
    CWS:

This issue appears to be a general Fiery question which is outside the scope of the Fiery Command WorkStation 5 forum. I would recommend working with your dealer to resolve this issue.

Hi moderator Bob_B. Thank you for replying with a pre-defined standard answer.

What has our dealer or Xerox to do with an internal software bug of the efi-rip and the efi-CWS?

I think this forum perfectly is the correct place to show up such bugs?!!! And it would be nice to check such behaviors by you to proof or correct it?
    Printer:
    Xerox 700DCP (Systemsoftware 1.201.3) with EX700 (System 8 R 2, V 1.0SP1), ES-1000 (with UV filter), GA-Package Prem. Ed.
    Clients:
    Mac OS X, Win 7
    CWS:

This Fiery server does not allow settings to change to Face-Up, Forward printing. This is not a CWS bug but rather expected behavior for this Fiery and shows the same constraint in both CWS 4 and CWS 5.

Here is some background as to why we have this combination constrained.

Page Order:- Order in which the paper ejected from the output tray.

Forward order :- 1 2 3 4 5 :- In this order 5th page will be top of the stack. In this case if we print face up, then the whole set need to be reordered, so we have constraint.
    To get proper output in forward order we have to print in face down.

Default Hi Karen_K,

>> In this case if we print face up, then the whole set need to be reordered,

hmmm? The reordering is an already installed function - see forward/reverse and the other 3 allowed combinations of face up/down. So I don't unterstand why this reordering should be a problem in this forth combination.

Can you please give me more background for your explanation? Thanks.
    Printer:
    Clients:
    Mac OS X, Win 7
    CWS:

Hi Rolf,
    If you were printing a 5 page job face up and forward order, the job would print page 1, then page 2, and so on until page 5. This would mean page 1 is on the bottom and 5 on top, and the user would need to manually reorder the pages. We've constrained this combination to prevent a user selecting this option as it would not make sense and create extra work.

Hi Karen_K,
    your explanation I can follow now.
    But: as we are from practising and using the EX-700:
    There were many cases we missed this function. For example when printing manual duplex jobs in separate jobs, one for the front, one job for the rearside. And: there are many cases in which the printed jobs has to be delivered in this "wrong" reverse order to the next station where these prints would be used (manual collating and so on).
    Please give the user the ability to use this 4th combination (the software could give additionally a warning to the user). Thanks.
    Printer:
    Clients:
    Mac OS X, Win 7
    CWS: