PDA

View Full Version : Solids printing as tints

Gavin
07-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Hi All

Having a problem with solids printing as tints.

100%K prints with 95% dot. Same for anything that is made up from 100% colour CMY or K.

Have tried various colour profiles and options, even Best Quality, 110% dark - makes no difference.

Ideas on a postage stamp?

solomonfire
07-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm looking for a bit more background on the situation. You may have answered these already, but I thought I'd take a chance anyway....

1. Do you have Pitstop you could check the file in to verify it's set at 100% K when you receive it?

2. Have you verified in ImageViewer (post-processing preview) that it "stayed" at 100% K?

3. In short, what method (or what preview) are you checking the opacity in before printing the job?

My thoughts (from past goof-ups of mine) is you may need to change the ICC profile in ColorWise from your standard one to "NONE" (if u possibly haven't yet). ...or it wasn't set to 100% K in the first place when in the designing phase.

I'm looking forward to you responses.
-Solomon

Wasabi
07-13-2009, 04:25 PM
One more thing to add to Solomon's comments -

If you do have 100K in your document, then specifying 'Pure black text/graphics' as ON will ensure 100K is output as 100K (it will bypass the CMYK simulation profile).

Gavin
07-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Hi All

Thanks for your comments.

This would seem to be an engine problem which is being addressed by an engineer as I post this, but in response to your suggestions: Yes, Black is 100% and doesn't get altered in any way, and Pure Black is set to on as a default.

Cheers

solomonfire
07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Great...now I'm in the mood for sushi ;) ...and to see what the technicians discover.

Thanks for the additional comment Wasabi. Keep us posted Gavin.

Gavin
07-15-2009, 01:18 AM
LOL! I thought something was a bit fishy!!

Well, having been used to getting an engineer with a modicum of competence and experience in knowing what he was doing, Xerox send us a baby who was still very wet behind the ears! I was suprised that he was old enough to drive!

So, two visits and eight hours later, a whole load of replacement parts and clouds of toner dust and we are still none the wiser!

The last time this happened, the experienced engineer said "Oh yes, I know what this is" did something with the Fiery software, replaced the dev tanks and rollers and we were back on track within half an hour.

This newbie engineer didn't even know what halftoning was! Kept referrring to it as "looks like it's printing on material".

Found out that the old engineer that knew how to fix stuff and had been in the business for 30 years, had recently been made reduntant because he was too expensive to maintain!

God help us!