PDA

View Full Version : Support for the 2nd Edition of the Pantone Formula Guides

SharonH
06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Announcing support for the 2nd Edition of PANTONE’s formula guides,
and the availability for Customers to download the PANTONE guides from http://www.efi.com/dm/pantone/

EFI has recently received from Pantone new data for the 2nd Edition of PANTONE’s formula guides and will include support for these updated guides within Fiery Spot-On. Such inclusion will ensure EFI’s continued support for, and consistency with, industry and commonly used defacto standards, such as Pantone reference libraries.

What is PANTONE?
The PANTONE® color model was created to provide a system to identify, match and communicate color across a variety of industries and technologies. It portrays specific colors accurately and acts as a standard reference for color selection. PANTONE’s original color matching system was conceived as a way to standardize printed color through the distribution of familiar PANTONE reference books containing thousands of numbered color swatches printed on coated and uncoated paper stock.

What are the new PANTONE Libraries?
PANTONE have provided to EFI the data for the 2nd edition of three Pantone libraries. PANTONE Coated, PANTONE Uncoated and PANTONE Matte. The naming conventions of the Pantone libraries have not changed. Pantone has simply updated the reference L*a*b* data to which the Spot Colors correspond.

Which versions of Fiery Server and Controller will ship with the new PANTONE Libraries?
All newly releasing Fiery Servers and Controllers shipped after 06/30/2009 will contain three new Pantone libraries replacing the old Pantone libraries. These can be seen when utilizing Spot-On, including:

PANTONE Coated (2nd Edition) replacing the old PANTONE Coated
PANTONE Uncoated (2nd Edition) replacing the old PANTONE Uncoated
PANTONE Matte (2nd Edition) replacing the old PANTONE Matte.

How will I know which version of the PANTONE Guides my Fiery Supports?
Within the Fiery Servers and Controllers, Fiery Spot-On users will see the name of the Pantone Libraries supported.

Older Fiery Servers will have the older Pantone Libraries:
PANTONE Coated
PANTONE Uncoated
PANTONE Matte

All Fiery Servers and Controllers shipped after 06/30/2009 will have the new libraries:
PANTONE Coated (2nd Edition)
PANTONE Uncoated (2nd Edition)
PANTONE Matte (2nd Edition)

What if I don’t have Spot-On?
All Fiery Servers and Controllers shipped after 06/30/2009 will contain the 2nd edition of the Pantone Libraries. Even if a customer does not have Spot-On, when using named colors within a document the Fiery will correctly apply the LUT data to the job to reference the correct CMYK values.

For legacy embedded servers that do not have Spot-On, the customer will continue to work with the 1st Edition libraries, or will need to upgrade to include Spot-On to utilize the 2nd edition libraries (if Spot-On is available for their embedded product)

How do I get started using the new PANTONE Libraries on my old Fiery?
It is easy for any Fiery user to include PANTONE 2nd Edition colors in a document and even easier to get perfect PANTONE colors from printers just by following these easy steps:

Design with a PANTONE color:
In your favorite Page Layout or Design application simply work with PANTONE colors as selected from the swatch libraries available.

At the Fiery Server:
Check to see that the PANTONE (2nd Edition) library is included in Fiery Spot-On.
If it is not available, download the three PANTONE (2nd Edition) ICC profiles from http://www.efi.com/dm/pantone/ and install them on the Fiery through Fiery Spot-On.

Within Fiery Spot-On and Command WorkStation 4:
Choose (File -> Download and point to the PANTONE (2nd Edition ICC profiles.)

Within Fiery Spot-On and Command WorkStation 5:
Choose (Import-> and point to the PANTONE (2nd Edition ICC profiles.)

If I download the new PANTONE libraries to Spot-On and don’t delete the old ones, which ones will get used?
All Fiery Servers and Controllers shipped after 06/30/2009 will ONLY contain the 2nd edition of the Pantone Libraries. For all legacy Fiery Servers and Controllers where the customers wish to download the 2nd Edition libraries into Spot-On, they will see the new libraries and the old libraries within Spot-On. As is the case with any duplicity, the colors shall be picked depending on the hierarchy the libraries are in within Spot-On. Those libraries listed higher than others will take precedence. Thus if the 2nd Edition Pantone library is higher than the original Pantone Library within Spot-On, the 2nd Edition will take precedence.

hans.sep
06-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Sharon,

excellent news about the revised spot color libraries! :) Any news about when Pantone Goe Uncoated will be available?

Hans

SharonH
07-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Hans,
Seems like that file was corrupt.
Lets try again with a new .zip

Else I'll just email it to you.

Sharon

SharonH
07-14-2009, 05:24 PM
FYI to all.
Both, the Coated Pantone GOE Library and the Uncoated GOE Library can now be downloaded from EFI.com

http://www.efi.com/dm/pantone/

Sharon