PDA

View Full Version : Printing Grayscale or CMYK per page in a Single Job

SharonH
05-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Question:
I have a job that is CMYK, but I want to be able to select to print some pages in color and some pages in grayscale. How can I do this?

SharonH
05-29-2009, 02:46 PM
In the newer versions of the Fiery this can be achieved within the Mixed Media option or within Impose.

For older versions of the Fiery, if you have Color Profiler Suite and you also have Paper Catalog, here is a workaround - but not for the faint of heart.

1. Create an output Profile to have Max GCR using Color Profiler Suite
(This will create a CMYK profile that will print only in K)
a. Either create a brand new profile where Edit Black Controls - Maximum Black Ink to 100%, Black Start to 0%, and Black Generation to 100%)
- - OR - -
b. Choose the option to Convert Measurements to Profile.
c. Import an ICC Profile – preferably the default profile for the Fiery/Engine, or one that was custom made for the Fiery/Engine.
d. Select the Manufacturer and Printer Mode.
e. Choose to Edit Black Controls. Maximum Black Ink to 100%, Black Start to 0%, and Black Generation to 100%)
f. Save the Profile as something intuitive to indicate a Max GCR or such.

2. Edit the Profile using CPS
a. Using Profile Editor, open the profile created in step 1.
b. Select Global Color Edit and from the Lightness, Contrast and Saturation tab slide Saturation to 0
c. Select Global Color Edit and from Output Curves pull down the C,M,Y curves to flat 0
d. Repeat a through c for each Rendering Intent.
e. Use the Eye-Dropper to ensure that only K is valid and C=M=Y=0
f. Save the Profile as something intuitive to indicate a K or Grayscale profile.

3. Import the Profile into the Fiery
a. Using ColorWise Pro Tools open Profile Manager and import the new Profile as an Output Profile.
b. Do NOT set this as the default profile.

4. Printing using the Profile or multiple Profiles. (Media Defined Profiles)
a. Within the Fiery open the paper catalog, create a new or existing paper and associate the Grayscale profile to the paper.
b. Within the Mixed Media set the page ranges and associated paper catalog entry to correlate with the profile required.
c. Ensure you choose FULL Output GCR as the CMYK simulation method.
d. RIP and Hold and use Image Viewer and the Eye Dropper to show that only K is valid and C=M=Y=0
e. Print the job and check the count.

Again, this is a serious work-around, and you will need to determine for yourself it will help your customer, I don’t propose this as any logical workflow, just a work around for older Fiery Controllers.