PDA

View Full Version : Copying Spot Colors in CWS5

SharonH
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Question:
In the new Fiery CommandWorkStation 5 why can’t I copy a spot color to a new custom group – Right click does not have copy and paste contextual menu items.

Answer:
You can copy spot color by using the “Edit->Copy” and “Edit->Paste” menu, or by using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

SharonH
05-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Question:
How can I add custom spot colors to a new custom color Group with the ES-1000

Answer:
First, calibrate the ES-1000 device by selecting “Instrument” Next select the custom color group and Click -> New->Spot Color. Click the measure key on the ES-1000 to add custom colors. A new color will be added each time you make a measurement.

jasonst
05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
When you've successfully copied and Paste Spot colors. can you try the following:

Copy Pantone Coated 373 C and Paste it in a new color group.

Repeat the same procedure in CWS 4.

does your Pantone PMS lose it's prefix and Suffix in CWS 5? I get "373".
however in CWS 4, i get "Pantone 373 C".

I get a blank page when printing from Illustrator, unless I rename my PMS to 373.

Paul_M
05-21-2009, 05:21 PM
In the early versions of CWS5, there is a bug when copying spot colors or groups of spot colors defined with prefixes (ex: “PANTONE “) and/or suffixes (ex: “ CVC”). Automatic prefixes and suffixes are lost. This will be fixed.

Meanwhile, you can do the copy and paste using CWS4. The workaround you found to change the color name in your application (Illustrator) works. But I would recommend that you instead change the color name in the Fiery color group itself. This makes your document more portable. In your example, where you got "373" in CWS5, rename this color to "PANTONE 373 C" in the CW5 screen. Note that PANTONE color names are written in upper case and that there is one space before and after the color number.

Be advised that "tweaking" colors with Spot-On does not require you to copy colors. You can make edits to the CMYK values used by color names even for factory color groups such as PANTONE Coated.

Scott_W
06-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Steps to reproduce:
I simply created two new Spot Color groups. In one I had a spot color named "babyblue". I selected it, then selected Copy in CWS5's Edit/Copy, then highlighted second group, went to Edit... but "Paste" was grayed out

EFI engineering is aware of this usability issue and is currently working to fix it.

Work-around:
Click on the group you wish to copy spot color into, then click inside of the group, where the copied colors should go. "Paste" will then become enabled in the CWS5 Edit menu. You can now paste spot color to desired color group