PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between the UV and Non-UV Version of the ES-1000 and which one

SharonH
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Question
What is the difference between the UV and Non-UV Version of the ES-1000 and which one do I need?

Answer
The UV is referring to the UV filter that is incorporated into the instrument. Essentially, the UV filter allows a measure of the sample with and without fluorescent emission.

For non-fluorescent materials, the resulting spectral reflectance measurements will be identical with or without the UV filter in place.

For fluorescent materials, the measured reflectance factor (and therefore computed whiteness for white samples) will be higher when the UV energy is allowed through the system (no filter in place).

There are really just a few items to consider when deciding whether to go with UV or non-UV.

If you are not using the Fiery for proofing you really just need to ensure that the entire workflow, including profiling, calibration and verification are done with the same instrument, either with UV, or without UV. Simply avoid doing some measurements with one standard, and the rest with another.

If the workflow is set up for proofing then there are a couple of other things to consider:
- First of all the most crucial point is that your paper is as close to the standard as possible. If the standard doesn’t fluoresce and your printer paper does (which is very often the case) then your proof will not match the criteria.
- If you match your printing paper with the non-fluorescing paper of the standard, it will not matter if you measure using a UV or a non-UV device.
It is also important to know that there are no standards for UV filters. You may sometimes find more differences between two instrument models (the ES-1000 used to measure your proof and the instrument used by the “official standard”) than there is between the UV and non UV version of the ES-1000. For FOGRA certification to achieve an exact match as possible you should measure your prints with the same instrument they measure the standard.

For our profiling (and calibration) here at EFI, we have normalized with UV filter usage because we found issues with no filter, and no issues with filters. We have issues without filter because the OEMs often want us to profile for their own brand paper, so we do not have the choice to select another paper, even if the OEM paper shows significant fluorescence.

jasonst
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
does the EFI Profiler Suite provide the option to select UV or Non-UV filters like X-rite Profile Maker does?
This would make life much easier since some OEMs only provide i1 Pro with Non-UV.

SharonH
05-22-2009, 09:03 AM
The Fiery Color Profiler Suite can be purchased either with an instrument with a UV filter or with out the UV filter.

When making measurements it is known which model is being used so the user does not need to state whether they have a UV Filter or not.

For the i1, the hardware is configured one way or the other. There is no official mathematical conversion available that would correlate readings with and without UV.

UV vs non-UV is always a question with different customers having different preferences. For the most part, we provide the units with the UV filter in the US, and without in Europe. This just seems to be what most of the customer base has standardized on.

bedini
07-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Hallo Sharon, talking about filters, I'm intrested in the differences that we can obtain during the calibration process.
Someone says that the Efi calibrator have a "software filter" inside the process of calibration that cut the highest frequencies to avoid the fluorescent misuration error.

Is it real or is alwais better to have a UV Cut ES1000 also if used only for calibration?

Thanks

Luca

Smego
07-21-2009, 02:13 AM
does the EFI Profiler Suite provide the option to select UV or Non-UV filters like X-rite Profile Maker does?
This would make life much easier since some OEMs only provide i1 Pro with Non-UV.

Not True Toshiba supply both, the Uv one as standard and the non-uv as an option, one thing with OEM's some like Toshiba seem to know there stuff others seem just to bumble along...!

Eric_L
10-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi,

I do understand what you are explaining but I have seen different result on the field.
I did some tests to match Fogra Validation on Splash RPX-2i - DC 242.
I used CPS2 but also (sorry :o ) Profile Maker to create output profile on EFI XF130 using the same ES1000 UV.
In both cases, I was slightly out only for Cyan. DeltaE=6 in Color Verifier.
I run the same tests with ES1000 Non UV. DeltaE=3.05.
EFI XF 130 is supposed to be non-fluorescent, so there should be no influence. but this is the second time I face this problem.
Hope you can help me. It's not a critical problem because it works fine with my Non UV Spectro but I would like to understand why.
Regards.