PDA

View Full Version : Mac Print Drivers (missing "Fiery Feature" dropdown

rsukhram@tgioa.com
06-21-2016, 12:10 PM
I recently visited a customer to setup server presets but one of their users does not show the "Fiery Features" dropdown on the print dialog.

I attached a pdf to show what I am seeing. You will notice that the 7100Series driver is missing this.

Greta_C
06-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Either the driver is not properly installed, or the driver installed is not compatible with their version of MacOS.

I would recommend grabbing the latest one here (the second one listed is the English one).

http://www.efi.com/support-and-downloads/download-registration/?type=drivers&oem=ricoh&sid=Pro_7100_7110&model=393~v1.0&os=Mac128&area=Fiery%20Drivers&product=Fiery%20Drivers

Steve0
06-21-2016, 07:30 PM
May I piggyback on this thread with a question of my own?

What does it mean when that same pull-down menu (where Fiery Features is ordinarily found) has items on it with a strikethrough? And how do I get rid of them?

I have Googled long and hard for info on that and all I seem to be able to find is instructions on how to add a strikethrough to a font in composition applications.

I have a couple of Fiery customers - one whose iMac is brand new out of the box (MacOS El Capitan) - with this issue. I don't know -- I don't think -- this is necessarily a Fiery issue, but it's giving me agita trying to get Fiery drivers installed on these systems.

Help!

rsukhram@tgioa.com
06-22-2016, 06:52 AM
May I piggyback on this thread with a question of my own?

What does it mean when that same pull-down menu (where Fiery Features is ordinarily found) has items on it with a strikethrough? And how do I get rid of them?

I have Googled long and hard for info on that and all I seem to be able to find is instructions on how to add a strikethrough to a font in composition applications.

I have a couple of Fiery customers - one whose iMac is brand new out of the box (MacOS El Capitan) - with this issue. I don't know -- I don't think -- this is necessarily a Fiery issue, but it's giving me agita trying to get Fiery drivers installed on these systems.

Help!

Hey Steve, i searched and found this on another forum. Hope this helps. I have personally never seen what you are referring to.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=66996.0

When you get options that are "crossed out" it means the Apple CUPS drivers have taken over ... these are intended for consumer printers and don't access all the of the higher end options. These utilize the CUPS printing system and can be very problematic. Never allow the Apple built in software update mechanism to install Epson drivers.

To clear it up is also sometimes not easy. You may wish to do a search for gimp-print uninstaller to try and get rid of the apple drivers, then use the Epson uninstall utility to clean out the old Epson stuff, wipe the printing system on the mac clean, then start with a fresh install of Epson driver. Here's an article I've referred to others on how to try and clean out the printing systems on their macs.

I recently fought an issue where after clearing everything up and getting my printers to operate correctly again a couple of days later I found they were suddenly back to Apple drivers. I would clean it all up, re-install and a few days later they would revert again. Rather than trouble shooting it I was installing a new SSD as a boot drive anyway, so I started with a fresh install of Lion to make sure there were no CUPS drivers on the startup disk. Things working great now, I'm not sure what caused the problem (although I'm guessing some permission issues where settings weren't being stored correctly or a some corrupt preference files).

Greta_C
06-22-2016, 07:49 AM
Showing a driver with the name in strike out means that the plugin in question is not compatible with the OS, and has been blocked from working.

This is commonly found when you have print drivers installed, then update MacOS to a newer version.

KarenA
06-23-2016, 07:01 AM
I recently visited a customer to setup server presets but one of their users does not show the "Fiery Features" dropdown on the print dialog.

I attached a pdf to show what I am seeing. You will notice that the 7100Series driver is missing this.

I am using Mac 10.11.5, El Capitan, all programs from Creative Suite (Cloud). CWS 5.8.
It's most likely not an EFI issue, but Adobe seems to want to ignore this: I upgraded my Acrobat DC about a month ago. They have taken away the Fiery Properties tab, which is still accessible with InDesign and Illustrator and replaced it with a 1990's version of this. I feel like I'm in the old Quark days. When I access the Print Properties and look for the Fiery Features, I get drop downs galore (like original 1990's programs)
I've already made peace with the fact that the Microsoft programs already just ignored the feature, after all, why would an office environment need to change the gsm on anything? Things like preview are the same. I work in a print environment and use Acrobat for at least 75% of my work.
It's annoying but I'm getting nowhere with Adobe. I'd scrub the program and go back to the old version but the upgrades are ALMOST worth it.
Just upgraded Illustrator. Same problem...must be Adobe
Anyone have the same problem?

Sherry Baker
06-29-2016, 08:50 AM
I am using Mac 10.11.5, El Capitan, all programs from Creative Suite (Cloud). CWS 5.8.
It's most likely not an EFI issue, but Adobe seems to want to ignore this: I upgraded my Acrobat DC about a month ago. They have taken away the Fiery Properties tab, which is still accessible with InDesign and Illustrator and replaced it with a 1990's version of this. I feel like I'm in the old Quark days. When I access the Print Properties and look for the Fiery Features, I get drop downs galore (like original 1990's programs)
I've already made peace with the fact that the Microsoft programs already just ignored the feature, after all, why would an office environment need to change the gsm on anything? Things like preview are the same. I work in a print environment and use Acrobat for at least 75% of my work.
It's annoying but I'm getting nowhere with Adobe. I'd scrub the program and go back to the old version but the upgrades are ALMOST worth it.
Just upgraded Illustrator. Same problem...must be Adobe
Anyone have the same problem?

YES!

Our Rip was recently rebuilt and the tech installed the latest system on our C1070, which caused us to have to reinstall the drivers on our Macs.

Some annoying issues we are having:

1. As you have discovered, jobs no longer Process and Hold without going to the Printer Properties... and even if I get it to Hold... it won't stay there until I hit Process and Hold in Command Workstation. We should be able to set defaults so we don't have to go into Print properties EVER SINGLE TIME we want to print.

2. Custom Pages set using InDesign or Printer Properties send as 8.5x11 no matter what the numerical values set under Custom are. I have to send custom sheets as the next size up standard sheet, otherwise, anything outside the 8.5x11 area will cut off. Tabloid oversized is considered a Custom Sheet and requires being reset in Command Workstation as 12x18 to print.

3. The only way I seem to be able to send files consistently is to create a PDF and drag and drop to the Command Workstation. This takes longer and creates additional files that I don't really have room for, storage wise; and for some reason, the PDFs will not allow me to adjust colors on Command Workstation.

There is absolutely NO benefit to having Command Workstation on a Mac as it stands. i'm beyond frustrated.

Sherry Baker
03-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Has there been any relief in this at all? Is there a way to bump this issue. It's been almost a year now!

Anthony.L
03-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Hi Sherry,

I'll be glad to have the team look into this. Can you give me a bit more information?

Driver version:
OS version:
Printer: KM C1070 (?)
Applications where this issue is observed: Indesign, ...,

Thanks,
Anthony

Sherry Baker
03-06-2017, 01:46 PM
I've finally found where I initially wrote about this issue! I've posted specifications there.

http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/5892-El-Capitan-Update-Driver-not-saving-defaults