PDA

View Full Version : System Print Dialogue Box Slow to load with a Pharos Printer (revisited) OS X 10.10

dpmellis
09-29-2015, 07:38 AM
Hi,

I have a Canon ImageRunner 5255 with a ImagePass B2 print server and I still have the problem that the system dialogue box takes about 45 seconds to load.

I posted on the Pharos system forums and I got the response below, to comment out the CUPS filters in the PPD, which solved the slow loading problem but then the Fiery Features weren't available.

In the "US" version of the PPD file, there is this section at the very bottom:

https://community.pharos.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-5412-99677/pastedImage_0.png
That behavior is being driven by one, or both, of the defined *cupsFilter items. I don't know if removing one, or both, of them will affect how the overall driver functions, as I do not have an imagePASS to test. What you can do to test:
Install the printer as you do now.
Go to /etc/cups and find the PPD file. It will be named with the name of the printer you created.
Launch it in Text Editor.
Add a % and space between the * and cupsFilter (example *% cupsFilter) for the first filter. Save it.
Test a print job.
Do the same with the other filter entry.

Greta_C
10-01-2015, 12:53 PM
As per the other thread:

Does the same problem occur when printing from other applications? E.g Safari or Textedit?

Also for the 10.10 machine please ensure that you load the latest driver patch on top of the Fiery driver, it is available in our download center under Application Software and Tools, then Fiery Driver.

dpmellis
10-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Hi,

It doesn't matter what program is used, the system dialogue box is slow to load. I tried it with and without the patch using drivers downloaded from the EFI site and Canon's.

As I posted before, commented out the CUPS features in the PPD in /etc/CUPS/ solved the slowness program but also hid the Fiery Features

Greta_C
10-01-2015, 05:34 PM
The system print dialog, like when you hit Command + P takes 40 seconds to load?
If so, something is seriously broken. That should be instantaneous.

I would remove all drivers on that mac, use Fiery software uninstaller to clean up, then start afresh with the 10.10 driver and patch.

dpmellis
10-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Hi Greta,

I've already done this. It doesn't happen when I have the printer added as an ip printer, only when it is loaded as a pharos printer. See below for the response I got on the Pharos forum.

The EFI Driver installer (EFI is the OEM for the Canon imagePASS) includes a neat little bunch of software (wrappered under a "Harmony" label) that attempts to make a connection with the printer on the other end for things like configuration, available options, and status. Those will break in a situation where the end point is something other than the imagePASS B2. What you can attempt to do is edit the PPD and remove as many CUPS extensions as you can that allow the driver to be useful. I downloaded the B2 driver for the MacOS and installed it on my MacOS 10.9 development system. In the "US" version of the PPD file, there is this section at the very bottom:

The system print dialog, like when you hit Command + P takes 40 seconds to load?
If so, something is seriously broken. That should be instantaneous.

I would remove all drivers on that mac, use Fiery software uninstaller to clean up, then start afresh with the 10.10 driver and patch.

Greta_C
10-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Oh, sorry I'm not familiar with Pharos.

What they say is true, in "attempts to make a connection with the printer on the other end for things like configuration, available options, and status" - yes we totally do that. We rely on it to get back info from the printer/Fiery.

You could try disabling two way communication. You should still be able to see the job properties but fields requiring two way comms such as paper catalog, expert color, etc will be hidden.

There may be other ways around this. Could you let us know which settings you wish to use in the Fiery driver?

G.

dpmellis
10-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Hi Greta,

Unfortunately, two-way communication is not checked when the dialogue box loads.
This problem also didn't happen with 10.8 and earlier.

Oh, sorry I'm not familiar with Pharos.

What they say is true, in "attempts to make a connection with the printer on the other end for things like configuration, available options, and status" - yes we totally do that. We rely on it to get back info from the printer/Fiery.

You could try disabling two way communication. You should still be able to see the job properties but fields requiring two way comms such as paper catalog, expert color, etc will be hidden.

There may be other ways around this. Could you let us know which settings you wish to use in the Fiery driver?

G.

Greta_C
10-07-2015, 12:10 AM
We have a little mini driver which may be helpful to you, depending on which Fiery features you wish to choose at print time. It has a very limited feature set, but should work with all Fiery servers.

It's available in our download center.