PDA

View Full Version : Printer and Fiery Features button causes long delays/hang - OS X Yosemite

ReluctantPrintAdmin
05-12-2015, 03:39 AM
When I press the 'printer' button from any app (I mainly use Adobe CC) i get long delay (BBoD)

then after I set the printer up and press print i get an even longer hang, sometimes for over one minute.

This occurs on every Mac within our studio, all using the latest Yosemite version.
During the hang there are no spikes on network, disk or cpu usage.

Any advice/resolution welcome as it's pretty annoying

ctait
06-15-2015, 02:25 PM
I see this too. With all my 10.9/ 10.10 machines regardless of app printing from. There is a long delay choosing the fiery printer and also lots of hanging in the fiery features and when printing.

Normally I add the printer through bonjour. The only thing I found that sort of helps is if you add the printer as an IP printer. There is less lag this way. Its not a perfect solution but it helped me

ReluctantPrintAdmin
06-16-2015, 04:21 AM
ctait - genius!

Big bad hang gone, thanks a bunch!

ctait
06-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Happy to help! I hope they fix the lag with bonjour printing though.

vsait
07-01-2015, 11:26 AM
We just got 5 new Canon C700 with a F200 Fiery Server. We are also experiencing this. The worst is if we try to share out the fiery station to our print server and then point our client machines to our print server via SMB, we get a 30 second delay when doing File -> Print and click on the print queue in any application.

If we share it out from our print server via LPD, we get a 3 second delay consistently. This is better than 30 seconds, but still unacceptable when you shouldn't get any spinning pinwheel when printing.

But let's forget the above for a second.

I took the print server completely out of the equation and connected an OS X client computer directly to the fiery station using the fiery installer GUI and it connects the OS X client via lpd with the provided IP address, but still has a 3 second delay. This tells me the issue here is not with Canon, but with the Fiery drivers.

We have never had such issues before (we were previously connecting to a Fiery GX300 to a Canon C7065 but using slightly older drivers, no problem) and would love to see this corrected. What can we do to rectify this because this is such a pain point and annoyance. I've never seen print drivers cause delays like this.

ReluctantPrintAdmin
01-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Since upgrading to El Captan the hang as returned (still using the IP link instead of direct from the 'add printer or scanner' dialogue).

cbstossel
02-29-2016, 12:40 PM
I'm testing El Capitan where this "was" an issue with all our Fiery printers (CN6000/6010/C800 & KM8000PRESS). I had to delete all the printers, use the Fiery uninstaller to uninstall the drivers, then reinstall all the printers via IP/LPD and that solved my lag issue.

Of course...then they moved our print shop from one building to another after 25 years in one spot and now we are having "other" issues that, to me, appear network related...but good luck getting network team to admit fault.

Hope that helps.

Oh...from your original post (with screenshots), I notice when you select Fiery Features you do not have two-way communication selected. Since I've been supporting our company's Macs, I found that if hanging or complete drops in communication when printing within any Adobe CC design or MS Office Suite apps, having tw-way comm checked when connecting via IP makes a WORLD of difference as well. We had lagging even after Yosemite upgrades and two-way comm really boosted overall communication between the computers and printers (both Mac & PC). Could be a possible solution as well...be worth trying before deleting and reading printers.

usminfoserv
04-21-2016, 03:31 PM
I've had similar issues since upgrading to El Capitan. Opening the first dialog box can take 3 to 10 seconds. Printing can take a while too. It all used to be instantaneous.

I noticed that opening the dialog box triggers relatively high cpu usage by opendirectoryd. I'm wondering if the driver is attempting to do an LDAP lookup for something, or perhaps authenticating my account. It doesn't happen with other printers. Is there anything in the Fiery Driver that would communicate with Open Directory before showing the print dialog box?

ReluctantPrintAdmin
04-25-2016, 12:10 AM
But I've had a new SSD installed, now with a clean system and re-installed everything the hang is now negligible, but that might be down to the speed to the drive.

Fabio.Pergola
04-26-2016, 11:44 PM
having the same problems with xerox machines attached
bonjour takes a long delay!! installing with IPP is faster, but still a small delay
definately something wrong with the fiery drivers

mathpoli
04-28-2016, 12:35 AM
Same here: although our printer (Canon iR-ADV C7260) is connected via IP, we have a 6 to 9 seconds delay when opening the printer settings. Every time. On every of our 5 iMacs. This is unacceptable.

Running the old Fiery driver under the current Mac OS (El Capitan, 10.11): no lag! Conclusion: it must be the driver.

Hardware:
iMac (retina 5K, 27 Inch, Late 2015: 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB, 500 GB SSD)

OS X 10.11.3

Software:
Fiery Driver 1.0
Fiery Command Workstation 5.8.0.39 SP2

usminfoserv
07-07-2016, 02:44 PM
UPDATE: I've discovered that when using IP/LPD, some of the Fiery Features just don't work. In particular, when I try to do offset collate printing, it does not sort into stacks at all. If I go back to using the Bonjour connection, it works. I had to set up the user's machine with two copies of the printer: one with Bonjour when they needed features to work, and one with LPD for normal printing when they didn't want to experience the severe delays. This isn't an optimal solution. Is there any timeline for a potential fix so these driver issues?

I've had similar issues since upgrading to El Capitan. Opening the first dialog box can take 3 to 10 seconds. Printing can take a while too. It all used to be instantaneous.

I noticed that opening the dialog box triggers relatively high cpu usage by opendirectoryd. I'm wondering if the driver is attempting to do an LDAP lookup for something, or perhaps authenticating my account. It doesn't happen with other printers. Is there anything in the Fiery Driver that would communicate with Open Directory before showing the print dialog box?

Greta_C
08-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Fabio.Pergola and others on this thread:

First of all please make sure you have the latest drivers installed from our download center, we made some big changes in the 10.11 drivers to fix previous issues, and work around MacOS sandboxing restrictions with two way communication. Only use the drivers marked for MacOS 10.11.

http://www.efi.com/support-and-downloads/downloads/

If after a clean install of these drivers you still see issues, please can you report the exact issue, and the time it takes to bring up the print dialog box on both Bonjour vs IP printers? And give me specifics to replicate, like exact driver version etc? Also let me know if you're up for doing a webex meeting with us, so we can take a look at the problem in realtime on your system.

Thanks,
Greta.

DrunkRabbit
01-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Saw that the comments have dried up here.

Have we found a solution?

Just upgraded to: MacOSX El Capitan V.10.11.6 (15G1217) and encountered the delay times when printing to my Fiery Printer (Ricoh 651ex E41A)

As per instructions on this site, I uninstalled my driver and reinstalled newest version. That did solve some other issues but not the issue with the printer dialogue delays.

Still watching the bouncing pizza wheel of death instead of working.

Help?

DrunkRabbit
01-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Fabio.Pergola and others on this thread:
Also let me know if you're up for doing a webex meeting with us, so we can take a look at the problem in realtime on your system.

Greta: A made a video of an average file printing. PM me if you want the link.

DrunkRabbit
02-02-2017, 03:50 PM
BumpBumpBump

Anthony.L
02-02-2017, 05:21 PM
Hi DrunkRabbit,

Please PM me the link so I can take a look.

Do you notice this lag only on certain applications?

Thanks,
Anthony