PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get pure black text when using APPE

oxident
05-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi!

I'm trying to figure out why my IC306v2 always converts black RGB text to "mixed" CMYK values when using APPE. Even if I define a substitute color for 0% RGB, it won't be converted to 100%K.

When disabling APPE, black RGB text is correctly rendered to 100%K. The option for "pure black" within ColorWise is set, of course...

adam1991
05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
That's one of the things that happens inside the APPE black box.

The Fiery has much, much more control over this kind of thing in the traditional Postcript workflow, including using its own internal PDF to PS normalizer.

As APPE matures, these things will be tweaked.

oxident
05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Well, okay, but then I start to wonder about the effective benefits in using APPE against EFI's own (mature) PS-engine. Let me take a look at the "marketing materials":

In combination with the Xerox EX Print Server, Powered by EFI Fiery, and FreeFlow Print Server, APPE accurately renders the most complex designs and maintains the integrity of the job throughout the entire workflow. With native support for ICC color workflows that include transparency, APPE improves the accuracy and consistency of color production and dramatically simplifies color management.
http://ir.efi.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=461700

That was one of my favorite arguments to buy an APPE enabled Fiery and start to use this workflow as a default one. But now it looks to me that APPE should only be used if the internal interpreter fails (which wasn't the case for me in the last months / I rather switched off APPE when spotting problems).

Doyle
05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Hi!

I'm trying to figure out why my IC306v2 always converts black RGB text to "mixed" CMYK values when using APPE. Even if I define a substitute color for 0% RGB, it won't be converted to 100%K.

When disabling APPE, black RGB text is correctly rendered to 100%K. The option for "pure black" within ColorWise is set, of course...

With APPE enabled have you turned off both gray options. I have had similar thing happen where blacks were not printing correctly with the gray option turned on and APPE enabled.

oxident
05-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Do you mean the options to use only black toner for greyscale images/lines/text?
Hmm, if I set them both to off, I would suspect the Fiery to not use any K-Toner at all ;-)

But I'll try...

Lou_P
05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
More info please. Pure black is not the only issue, its the setting of the gray/balck processing for RGB. Is it set to text/graphics/images?

What kind of page object is failing to print as K only - text, vector, or an image?

Any chance you could post a sample file for us to try?

~Lou

oxident
05-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I'll try to prepare a sample as soon as possible.
Gray processing is set to text/graphics for RGB and text/graphics/images for CMYK. The last file I've tried has those problems on black text (definitely regular text, no transparancies involved). Acrobat's output preview inspector revealed that the text is ICCbasedRGB with a color value of 0,0,0.

oxident
05-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Just as an addition:

It looks to me that "Color Substitution" might be the key problem: At the moment, I'm trying to print a document where the author has already exported it with crop marks. Those crop marks are now set up using 100%CMYK. In order to avoid printing costs, I've created a substitution color in CWS in order to convert 100%CMYK to 100%K only.

Unfortunately, this work as the substition won't get applied. The crop marks remain at 47%C, 50%M, 58%Y and 100%K. Even if I define exactly this color to be converted to 100%K only, the substition never "kicks in" :confused:

Psteeper
11-21-2013, 11:13 AM
I have a customer with the same problem. His job had 100% K text plus crop marks. When APPE was on and grayscale was selected, it generated a colour click. It generated a black click when APPE was turned off.