PDA

View Full Version : IC306v2: Force grayscale won't work on certain PDFs if APPE is used

oxident
04-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi!

I'm trying to print a color PDF in grayscale using direct import through CWS on my IC306v2 (KM C6000). Somehow, the file will always be rendered in Color, even if I select Grayscale. The only way to force the document to be printed in grayscale is to deselect APPE.

It won't affect every PDF file ... but at the moment I can't figure out the exact cause. Is this a know bug or am I doing something wrong?

Scott_W
04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
This only happens with this one PDF file?

What happens if you print via Fiery's driver out of Acrobat, setting greyscale in driver?

oxident
04-04-2013, 06:48 AM
It happens with "some" PDFs. I would say, one out of ten.

Then it works ... I guess that's because APPE isn't used in this case, is it?

Lou_P
04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
can you please send us the file? Let me know if you need a private FTP for it.

~Lou

oxident
04-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Hmm, I've tried to reproduce this behaviour today and, what can I say, I didn't happen on any of the PDF files I've tried yesterday :o

Maybe a simple server restart (which hasn't been done for weeks) cleared this.

Sorry!

Mike Ver Duin
08-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Similar problem brought me here to the forum. For me the problem was raster images in the file. ANY raster image, even if in the grayscale color space (or even just black and white) FORCED the fiery to print as a 'color' image.

Not exactly the problem you are having, but it might be why you have a problem with some files and not others.

oxident
08-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Well, maybe your problem has something to do with the handling of greyscale images. Did you check if your Fiery is set to "use K" for "text/vector/image" in the advanced color configuration?

I've noticed that the default setting is to use K-toner only for CMYK text/vector but not for CMYK images (and no RGB object at all).

I guess that has something to do with the "not-so-perfect" quality of these machines when talking about monochrome output.

Mike Ver Duin
08-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Did you check if your Fiery is set to "use K" for "text/vector/image" in the advanced color configuration?

Good question. Changing those settings has no effect on my output problem.

oxident
08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Okay, sorry. Didn't know you've already checked this :rolleyes:

So in your case, images are rendered in color *every time* you use APPE and only rendered K-only if APPE isn't used, right?

Mike Ver Duin
08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Okay, sorry. Didn't know you've already checked this :rolleyes:

So in your case, images are rendered in color *every time* you use APPE and only rendered K-only if APPE isn't used, right?

No apology necessary. ANY question is a good question right now for me.

My case is a little different. I can't get any raster image to process from my computer to the copier as k-only unless I force 'grayscale' instead of color in the printer driver. But that affects the entire job. Some pages might have color images, some might be just black and white. I'm not 100% sure what APPE means. (but I'm assuming it is a PDF uploaded to the fiery)

oxident
08-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes, correct. APPE is an option on certain Fiery's when importing PDFs.

But, did you try to import one of your PDFs into CWS and print them? Do they also count as color pages? Just to make sure, it's not your printer drivers or Acrobat CMS which are causing these problems...

Mike Ver Duin
08-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Yes, correct. APPE is an option on certain Fiery's when importing PDFs.

But, did you try to import one of your PDFs into CWS and print them? Do they also count as color pages? Just to make sure, it's not your printer drivers or Acrobat CMS which are causing these problems...

I'll be damned. That worked. I think that is even more frustrating.

oxident
08-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Nah, you shouldn't be damned for that ;)

Now you can track down the problem. I would suggest you double check the CMS settings within Acrobat (or any other application you use). As a good starting point I always found it useful to choose a pre-defined setting (like "Europe, Universal" or something like this). Then you should maybe adjust the color settings inside the Fiery to match those settings.

And finally you should consider using "relative colorimetric" as CRD for the RGB workflow.

I get quite good results walking this way...

Good luck!

Mike Ver Duin
08-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Now you can track down the problem.

Matt_MP found my problem for me.

We had 'Apply Image Enhancement' on. (It's on the image tab of the preferences, you have to scroll down to find it.)