PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta C364 Color Quality

KentGudmundson(k2)
03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
A customer of ours is using an IC-414 on a Konica Minolta Bizhub C364 to print nothing but photographs. The quality of the picture is not very good, and I have been unable to get it to produce a decent image.

Is there any suggestions for printing Photos? Also, is there a way to prevent the use of the black image unit and have all black process black?

Thanks kindly for any and all suggestions.

Scott_W
03-11-2013, 08:35 AM
How exactly are you printing photos to IC-414? (from what application, or are they imported?, file types?, etc.)

Are you calibrating Fiery? What method? (Colorcal? ES-1000/2000?)

Are you comparing photo output from IC-414 to output from other RIP(s)?

Can you please be more specific as to what you mean by "quality not very good"? (detail lost in shadow or highlights, overall color cast, etc.)

KentGudmundson(k2)
03-11-2013, 08:53 AM
The customer is using Adobe Lightroom, however I have tried several different applications (Lightroom, photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, MS Picture Manager, Picasa, Photo Pos Pro) as well as I imported it to CW5.

I have tried calibrating with the ES-1000 and with the Colorcal...

The customer is comparing the photo to professional quality (I know, you can't do that, but tell them that!) and from other machines.

The images appear "pixelated" or "grainy". I have tested with strait pantone, and the same type of issue occurs. This seems to be most prevalent in blacks than in colors.

Currently, I am trying to find a way to NOT use the black image unit... I want to see if that would have any bearing on the output...

Scott_W
03-11-2013, 08:57 AM
You say; "from other machines"

Can you be more specific?

KentGudmundson(k2)
03-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Konica Minolta C451,
Konica Minolta C284,
Konica Minolta C754,
Konica Minolta C364 (this model)
None of these used a fiery, and were printed with PCL.

He is also comparing to the pictures he gets from Costco (I am not even considering that one!)

789michal
03-12-2013, 02:55 AM
We have 414 + IC C284 therefore exactly the same, just different speed.
You need to create your own output profiles for each type of paper / ICC /.
Standard output profiles included in fiery are useless and press behaves similarly as described. If you do not print with your own profiles behaves as an ordinary copier without fiery. If everything is set up correctly, customers will see print, as the reference print. :)

Input profile for fiery must be the same as working in Photoshop. Pity that software to create profiles is not a part of the fiery. You can buy it.

KentGudmundson(k2)
03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the tip.

The customer does not have the software to create a profile, but I believe I can get my hands on something... i hope...

Will give it a shot!