PDA

View Full Version : printing color and B/W in same PDF

Jerry Sunand
10-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi there,

I'm using a Docucolor 252, Fiery v8 and CWS 5. I've received a PDF containing 24 pages A4, but on 9 pages there's only black text. If I print out this document, the printer counts 24 color prints instead of 9 black-and-white and 15 color prints. Even if I make those 9 pages black and white in Acrobat and insert them again into a single PDF together with the FC pages, the printer still counts 24 color prints.

Is there any workaround in CWS5 to make the printer see those 9 pages as a black and white print? I know this issue has been discussed here a few times, but all the solutions were depending on a certain type of printer and not my Docucolor.

adam1991
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
I suspect those pages are still RGB, and the Fiery is configured not to treat those pages in any special way. Therefore, the RGB black will render through the Fiery as a 4 color black.

Poke around and look for whatever options you have in the job options for treating black as 100% K. Do you have a "pure black text" option available to you?

Bob G
10-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Make a template in Indesign with black only crop marks (manually put in) on a master page on a 12x18 sheet. Set up guide lines for pages.

Save your document as a PDF and import and impose your pages into the Indesign file in printer spreads.

If unsure about your PDF color and BW issues... make two PDF files. One color, one BW. Then impose your pages in Indesign.

Do not use the standard register, crop or bleed marks when sending file to RIP. Only use the manual ones you put in your Indesign layout.