PDA

View Full Version : Xerox 550 prints washed out with cutom profile??

smile
06-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Hello, I wanted to ask why prints with custom ICC profile get washed out if profile is used in integrated RIP. And why same profile produces good colors if image is converted to profile with photoshop and printed without any color management?

Lou_P
06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
The profile selects the calibration. When you make the profile you need to have a custom calibration loaded as the server default so your patches print through it. Then link the profile to this calibration set on the Fiery when loading it. Your profile was probably made with CM all the way off (CMYK input set to Colorwise off rather than "Bypass Conversion" or "None". Either of these two will turn off CMYK color management but leave calibration on, see the arrows in the basic color settings window in command workstation 5, they show where the color "goes".
Consider getting Fiery Color Profiler Suite 3.1 for your profiling since it integrates directly with the Fiery and automates these processes in addition to allowing you to create a device link profile that stays on the Fiery and can be re-iterated later if/when printer color drifts so far that calibration can't fix it.

smile
06-06-2012, 12:45 AM
The profile selects the calibration. When you make the profile you need to have a custom calibration loaded as the server default so your patches print through it. Then link the profile to this calibration set on the Fiery when loading it. Your profile was probably made with CM all the way off (CMYK input set to Colorwise off rather than "Bypass Conversion" or "None". Either of these two will turn off CMYK color management but leave calibration on, see the arrows in the basic color settings window in command workstation 5, they show where the color "goes".
Consider getting Fiery Color Profiler Suite 3.1 for your profiling since it integrates directly with the Fiery and automates these processes in addition to allowing you to create a device link profile that stays on the Fiery and can be re-iterated later if/when printer color drifts so far that calibration can't fix it.

Yes it was my mistake to print the targets at Colorwise off, rather than "Bypass Conversion" or "None" I will print my targets again and make a new profile then. Thank you, I will post back what results I get.

I also would like to ask about standard Fiery profiles for allready installed media. When I install my profile and link it to the media selection Fiery asks if it want to overwrite the current media profile. Else I have to use custom 1 etc. as my media selection in print driver.

If I overwire the default media profile how to restore back to the same profile? I had exported the default profile and tried to reinstall it, it worked but Fiery does not led me remove it afterwards.

Todd C
06-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Lou can you please screen capture how the arrows should be pointing when doing a calibration?
I'm having the same washed out color problems and the ES-1000 isn't getting the color any closer.
I dont have the profiler suite so just doing the calibration from within Workstation.

Thank you

Lou_P
06-29-2012, 10:36 AM
There is no arrows when you calibrate - we lock you out of the print settings so you can't mess them up! All you choose is paper size and the halftone screen, since the screen will effect the tones and therefore the calibration is specific to it. Attached are 3 screens showing the process of making a new calset up to printing. Do these screens match what you see in Calibrator?

For the second topic if you double click on any output profile in Device Center - Resources - Profiles you can see what media it is assigned for and check or uncheck what you want. You probably don;t have to re-import the factory profile since its locked and you can't remove it in the first place. Your profile did not replace it, but replaced the media it was assigned to. If you have output profile set to "use media defined" then the profile gets picked for the media type. A more expert way to work is to assign the profiles through paper catalog or to create virtual printers or hotfolders that each have the specific profiles set for the different papers you are printing on.