PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust a Spot Color with a Pantone name, but NOT a Pantone color!!

Steve0
05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Equipment: KM C7000, IC-306
Client Software: Adobe InDesign CS5, MacOS 10.5.8

This customer creates a large number of documents using an InDesign template that contains a spot color called PANTONE 186 C, but as I later learned, was not pulled from a Pantone library.

When they print to the C7000, the color needs adjustment. But in this case, Spot On Color, properly used (grant me this), has no effect on the color. Troubleshooting, I use SeeQuence Preview to export a PDF of the job, and measured the color in Acrobat using Pitstop. Surprisingly, the color has no name and the color space is CMYK. Indeed, exporting the InDesign document as a High-Quality Print PDF and measuring the color, same thing!

So, I treat it as a Substitute Color, using the CMYK values revealed by the Pitstop eyedropper tool, and sure enough, the color adjusts. Good, but in InDesign, the color is placed from a swatch that has the name PANTONE 186 C, but it is a customer blend, not a Pantone color.

Here's the rub: The customer expects the color adjustment to be automatic and non-interventional. Spot-On Color is on by default, but doesn't work here; Substitute Color does work here, but has to be manually turned on, on a job-by-job basis.

I'm going to revisit this on Monday, by creating a new spot color in Spot-On, named PANTONE 186 C, and entering the Pitstop-measured values.

Do you think this will work?

(It probably would have been better if the customer had used a name like "Customer Red.")

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

Lou_P
05-06-2012, 05:10 AM
The Pantone color is already in Spot-On. It needs to be a named color in the PDF file or Spot-On will not process it. This is a case where you want to get the named color in the PDF rather than use substitute color.

Chances are in InDesign you made the color but set it to be a process not a spot color in the swatches palette. Otherwise it is possible you changed the ink manager part of the output options for Print High Quality. You could try the setting "Press Quality" when exporting to see if that leaves the named color separation in the PDF.

Lou

Steve0
05-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Chances are in InDesign you made the color but set it to be a process not a spot color in the swatches palette.
That, I think, is the nub of the issue. My key user told me that his company once sent this job out for offset printing and would not pay the expense of a Pantone ink, so they modified the document to generate a process color, yet in the Swatches palette it remains named PANTONE 186 C.

I had this key user create a test document in InDesign with a swatch of the "real" Pantone 186C and send that to the Fiery. Sure enough, it shows up with a name when eyedroppered in PitStop. So the problem lies in the template this company is using to create all of these production documents in InDesign.

I will try to get the customer to correct their InDesign template, so that the named color in the swatches palette passes a named color to the PostScript job.

Thanks, Lou!

Steve

Steve0
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Lou,

I have been searching for a document EFI published, within the last year or two, about how to set color settings in various applications (Microsoft and Adobe) for the best color results on Fiery. I can't find it! Do you know the document that I'm referring to, and can you reply with a link to it?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve0
05-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Closing the loop here: The user showed me that by double-clicking on a Pantone color in the InDesign swatches palette, it is very easy, in the dialog box that follows, to choose whether that color is to be printed as a spot color or as a process color.

Short version: problem solved.

Thanks,

Steve

Gary_S
05-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Steve,

Is this the document you were looking for?

Gary

http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/2724-White-Paper-Color-Settings

adam1991
05-07-2012, 05:26 PM
That file appears damaged.

Steve0
05-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Steve,

Is this the document you were looking for?

Gary

http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/2724-White-Paper-Color-Settings

That's it!! Thank you! I was beginning to lose hope I'd ever see it again!

Steve