PDA

View Full Version : Distorted output from Word2010

RichardT
03-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Hi All,

Perhaps someone could help me out, or put me on the right track.
Yesterday I received a call from Germany, claiming that when printing from Word 2010, with a PostScript driver for either Sys8R2 or Sys9R2 device, the output is somewhat distorted.

Conditions:
The document contains an image and text. Removing the image will cause the distortion to disappear.
Happens from Word2010, using Word2003 works fine
No need to actually print the page. Print to file, run the PS file through Distiller and open it in Acrobat will also show the problem.

For a better understanding of what the distortion looks like, I attached a screenshot. The distorted areas are indicated by red rectangles.

I suspect a problem in Office 2010, more than an actual problem in the PS driver, so I hope I am in the right place for some advise. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Richard.

Laurent_H
03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
We've seen similar issues with customers using Office 2010, while it's working with older versions of Word.

Because the problem can be reproduced with the Distiller (also try with a generic PS driver), it should not be related to the Fiery print driver.

Maybe the issue with the document is the placement of an image over the text box which prevents the font from being printed properly. A correction in the source document will address this issue, whether by changing the image format, or changing the transparency or related setting.

Hope this helps,

l-

manyfaces
03-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I've run into a few issues with Office 2010 and they all seem to do with high-resolution output. Sometimes it's weird flattening things like this. Othertimes it's just an outrageously huge spool file.

On printers where you can control the output resolution of the app (Excel allows you to do this. As do Adobe Apps) you can see the difference in output. However, the Fiery printers I've all seen seem set the output resolution to 1200DPI only and don't allow you to change it.

Please note that the resolution I'm talking about is distinct from the RIP resolution you get in Job Properties. That resolution appears to control the size of the processed file (compare 600DPI vs 1200DPI rasters at 100% in ImageViewer).

The resolution I'm talking about is akin to the DPI you set in Photoshop and controls how much data the application sends to the printer. Office appears to use the printer PPD file to set this value. And Office appears to have problems when that value is large--1200DPI is large.

When I was doing prepress for offset printing, I would only set the DPI in the driver to be twice the linescreen I was printing with. So printing at 175LPI meant that anything over 350DPI was wasted data.

What I've done with my Fierys is change the *DefaultResolution value in their PPDs to be 600. This allows Office to create smaller spool files and has resolved a number of the weird flattening bugs by working around what appears to be an Office problem.

Laurent_H
03-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Thanks for your tips manyfaces.

As a side remark to MS Office creating huge spool files, make sure to uncheck the collate option from the File-Print menu, otherwise Office will spool as many files as there are copies, generating a massive file.

l-

RichardT
03-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Hi both,

Thanks for your feedback.

I am so-so convinced that this is related to Office 2010. I ran similar test with another PS driver, and the result was OK.
I am going to escalate this anyway, to get a better understanding, but my stop here was to here if there are "workable" workarounds.

Kind regards,
Richard.

Laurent_H
03-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Hi Richard,

An official log will definitely help engineering to have a better understanding of the problem.

As possible workarounds, I would suggest to save-as Word 2003 format from Word 2010 before submitting to print, or to use a PCL driver if available.

Hope this helps,

l-